Free Anti-Virus

unit731

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think running anti-virus software is overrated, feeds on people's fears and sucks your PCs resources.

In my experience the vast mojority of current virus/malware problems are via browsers which allow malicious code to be executed or downloading from peer to peer sites . Anti-virus programs running in memory usually don't catch the problem.

Run Firefox with addons that block scripting and flash, don't click on links in emails and only download files from reliable sources.

I very often see Limewire installed on PCs that are infected.

MS Security Essentials is my preferred program to install on PCs I work on for other people. As you mention it is more gentle on resources than others. I find AVG particularly disappointing these days.

For my own PCs I use ClamWin Free Antivirus which is an on demand scanner, not running in memory. I only use it to scan files on external devices or files copied from other sources.

The other thing I'll do for some people that continue to get malware infections is create an administrator account named something like SoongMak_Admin and then convert the account they use daily to a limited user account. This is very effective for obvious reasons.

3+ years on......anybody have any good suggestions for free antivirus software? Norton on this computer is about to run out in 3 weeks and looking to see what's out there that you think is decent.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials . So far' date=' no problems. I used AVG before, but forgot why I was fed up with it.[/quote']

I just today installed MSE as I am running Win 7/64bit so I was nervous about the reports of AVG not being compatible with it. Being somewhat computer techno-challenged, I opted not to dink with it.

Archived