Free Anti-Virus

unit731

Well, with the new inexpensive Vista Premium computer I obtained, I needed an anti-virus.

I tried AVAST. For the life of me, I could not figure out the interface. I had it for a few days and did some scans. It does work.

I uninstalled and installed AVG. The interface seems much easier to follow and understand.

AVG is my choice.

Most of the older anti-virus do not work on Vista.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had been using Avast for quite a while but I just switched to Avira AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic this past weekend because of some comparisons done by an independent body. Avira is very very smart.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

and their most recent report..

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_02.php

I think Avira is better at doing its main job but I thought Avast was easier to use. I'll stay with Avira, though, because of its strength.

Thanks for the link.

A line from the report that I really love: 'Microsoft OneCare performed very low in the test and did not reach the minimum requirements for participation. Due that, its inclusion in future tests of this year have to be re-evaluated. '

I am concerned that OneCare will kick some better products off the market, not because OneCare is better but because many may think that Microsoft software works best with Microsoft OS.

Not only gets Avira Antivir good marks in this test but it even got better. The comparative is already 2 month old. Just a week ago Antivir introduced a new feature: detection (and elimination if possible) of rootkits. Comes with the updates and is available for Premium and Classic versions. Thanks for that. I tried it but it couldn't find any rootkits on my computer. I assume that is good.

Never heard of a Rootkit:

A hacker security tool that captures passwords and message traffic to and from a computer. A collection of tools that allows a hacker to provide a backdoor into a system, collect information on other systems on the network, mask the fact that the system is compromised, and much more. Rootkit is a classic example of Trojan Horse software. Rootkit is available for a wide range of operating systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

I also didn't have any rootkits but I assumed that there were none.

Was it about a year ago that Sony CDs installed a rootkit if you tried to use one of their new music CDs? This caused a nightmare for them once it became public. They had to fix it and pay $$$.

Right. I think it was oktober 2005 when it came to the public eye that Sony BMG used Rootkits on some of their DRM-infected discs.

Never mind, Vista (specially the 64bit versions) is kind of an pre-installed DRM-Rootkit with additional functions. No need for Sony or others to implement their own.

• 3 years later...

Archived