Using Name as Personal Pronoun

Pescator

This is very common among women, gays and the 3rd sex.

But I have yet to hear a "normal" male using his own name when referring to himself.

How `bout you guys?

The reason I ask this question is that I have a good farang friend, who is a very good thai speaker and he is so fond of his thai name, given to him by a monk many moons ago, that he only used that when referring to himself.

It really makes me cringe when I hear that. But mayby I am totally off track here?

cheers

hn

Never heard anyone speak like this, man or woman, Thai or foreigner, except Jimmy of course:

Seinfeld Season 6, The Jimmy

The New York Health Club. Jerry, Kramer and George are getting dressed

George: "That guy was amazing, he could dunk and he was my height...What was his name again?"

Jerry: "Jimmy"

George: "Jimmy, right."

Jerry: "I dunno how you could forget. He kept reffering to himself in the third person. "Jimmy's under the boards. Jimmy's in the open. Jimmy makes the shot."

George: "Ah! your just mad 'cause we beat ya."

Jimmy walks in

George: "HEY! JIMMY!!! ha ha ha........Great game."

Jimmy: "OH yeah.......Jimmy played pretty good."

George: "Hey you know, I felt we had like a synergy out there,you know, like we were really helping each other."

Kramer: "What d'you got there?"

Jimmy: "These?"

Kramer: "Yeah"

Jimmy: "These are Jimmy's training shoes."

George: "Yeah,yeah yeah yeah! I've seen these.....they sorta ..they make your legs..stronger."

Jimmy: "Oh yeah! Jimmy couldn't jump at all before he got these. Jimmy was like you (looks at G.)

Kramer: "They're Plyometric.(sp?)"

George: "Plyometric?"

Kramer: "Yeah! They isolate the muscles. The muscle has to grow....or die."

George: (to Jimmy) Wh...Where d'you get'em?"

Jimmy: "Jimmy sells'em."

George: "You sell them?"

Jimmy: "Oh yeah! But Jimmy's all out right now. Moving to Manhattan set Jimmy back a bit."

George: "Hey listen, let me give you my card. It's got my home number on it. I want to buy the first pair when the next shipment comes in."

Jimmy: "All right"

George: "All right Jimmy Good talking to ya."

Jimmy: "Jimmy'll see you around."

Jimmy leaves.

Thanks KS,

I think I`ll drop a few hints to my buddy.

Not surprisingly really that he talks like that since he learnt most of his thai by speaking to thai women. Can`t say that I blame him though, so did I :)

Thanks to Munchie as well ..... I guess :)

cheers

hn

Archived