The end of the GOP?

Flashermac

William F Buckley

The political problem of the Bush administration is grave, possibly beyond the point of rescue. The opinion polls are savagely decisive on the Iraq question. About 60 percent of Americans wish the war ended â?? wish at least a timetable for orderly withdrawal. What is going on in Congress is in the nature of accompaniment. The vote in Congress is simply another salient in the war against war in Iraq. Republican forces, with a couple of exceptions, held fast against the Democratsâ?? attempt to force Bush out of Iraq even if it required fiddling with the Constitution. President Bush will of course veto the bill, but its impact is critically important in the consolidation of public opinion. It can now accurately be said that the legislature, which writes the peopleâ??s laws, opposes the war.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in addition to bush's incompetence, the radical religious right has turned the rest of the country on the GOP.

IMHO, more than corruption & jailed politicians .. beliefs trumping fact is the issue.

iraq is a problem caused by beliefs & ignoring fact

destroying the environment is corporate & belief based .. ignoring facts

several of the most nut case & out spoken ideologies were defeated in the '06 elections.

the fact that pat robertson(=religious nut law) law graduates are running the justice department.

recent pat robertson grads firing us attorneys with 20 years experience is coming back to haunt the shrub & gonzo.

ashcroft & gonzo have hired 165 recent pat robertson law grads .. PR Law is rated as the second worst law school in the US.

*. i have never seen such anti christian rhetoric before in my life (anti-christian = anti GOP)

*. very common for christians & their mystical beliefs to be held in ridicule on (non fox) TV..

*. often (with my friends & peers anyway) christians are spoken more poorly of than muslims.

*. c. hitchens new book "god is not great" is making the talk show rounds this week.

the GOP's pandering to religious nuts & corporate special interest is coming back to haunt it.

now if we can just stop the idiotic belief based support for the criminals of zion.

the % difference is generally under 5% ..

a 1% change in either Ohio / Fla would have the shrub watching cartoons.

if the GOP get the Christians out to vote is even slightly LESS successful then this planet CAN be saved from planed & dictated revelations

A lot of GOP donors are going DIM .. for the first time in a while the dims are out "donor-ing" the right.

if it's because the right has given up or the dims are energized is not important .. just so that it continues.

I understand your point but at risk of getting accused of being PC I would like to make a distinction between the Pat Robertson, fundamentalist, rapture type Christians and a lot of ordinary decent folk who just like going to church on Sunday. I extend the same courtesy to Muslims who just like going to the mosque on Friday.

The base of each party are not going to vote the opposite party. They rarely have in the past. Its the middle that will decide and they can go either way.

The GOP finally got control of all 3 branches and the one thing they were known for: integrity. Has gone out the window. All this administration has shown me personally is that they are no different than the Dems who they have claimed were immoral and unethical for years. They got control and f**ked up the opportunity. The only way I can see the Republicans winning in the next election is if they have Guiliani running and the religious right don't want him.

Dems have an opportunity now and if they infight like they sometimes do they may blow a chance to get back the white house. Republican strategist will use a fear tactic possibly but its being done for the past few years and the public isn't buying it. 911 is becoming just a memory. Last time out they used an anti gay message (no gay marriages) to win the election in key areas.

Fact is both parties are beholden to groups that have more sway over them than you and I do. Each election is a choice of a lesser of two evils. We need a viable, special interest free 3rd party to shake things up a bit.

Totally agree, but that was what they were touting. And with the religious right with them, it added 'street cred' to that reputation. You could get away with a few things about your personal life with Dems but Repubs would put forth candidates with seemingly pristine backgrounds and morals.

Its all BS obviously.

No one is believing Bush any more though. The media still seems to fear them though. They seem to be fearful of being labeled unpatriotic. By and large though my informal survey of the mood is that everyone is tired of Iraq and wants the whole thing resolved one way or another.

Archived