Any opinions about Illegal Immigrants in USA

Check to see if the USA has a "totalization" agreement with Thailand. If so, you may be able to receive Social Security credits for any work you did in Thailand. I suspect there isn't such an agreement, but you never know. Last I heard, they were working on a totalization agreement with Mexico. The USA already has such agreements with Canada and some of the European countries.

Rex

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. I'll look, but I doubt it. One of my colleagues had worked almost entirely overseas, Thailand and Malaysia mainly. He decided to return to the US and work for enough years to get Social Security. But when he found out how little he would get, he quit and came back here.

I'm not sure what the maximum social security benefit is these days. Probably in the neighborhood of $1500 a month, and that much only for the higher earners. Some people end up with as little as $700-$800 a month or so. Hardly enough to live on.

Rex

My SS statement estimates that at 62 (7 years from now) I will get $1,500, if I wait to full retirment age, 66, it will be $2,100. Waiting till 70 gets me $2,800.

The statement is worthwhile to get. Not only does it estimate your benefits but shows your entire earning history.

My father got more than SS says you can. He was getting something like $1800 a month. That's because he started under SS as a teenager when it first came in under FDR, retired at 65, but was called back (aerospace) to work for another 5 years. He also worked entirely in the US, except for his Army time in WWII.

SS was never really intended to be a pension. It was just supposed to help, which is about all it does.

...SS was never really intended to be a pension. It was just supposed to help' date=' which is about all it does.

[/quote']

That is very true.

Thanks.

I can "help" myself MUCH BETTER then the f'ing government!!!

Railroad workers...get 4 X's more???

US government workers get 3 X's better???

WTF...the politicians get like 10 X's better...OK, let me bend over and take it like the woman I am...

Yes, but SS is supposed to help in addition to your work pension. The problem is is that many people that had a decent pension from their job had that pension stolen by their corporate theiving bastards and now are left with whatever savings they have, plus any 401K and stock, and, the SS payments. If these corporate crooks would not screw the employees out of their pensions many would be okay in their old age. But until the government makes this illegal many will have problems, as this stuff is becoming rather widespread in recent years with bankrupt big businesses underfunding the pensions and then virtually reneging on their pension plans and promises, or paying much much less than was promised.

Cent

Between the scum CEOs that raid the pension funds and the lack of medical care at a reasonable cost, the average person who retires in the USA is screwed!

Quite common for a husband and wife to pay $1000 USD a month for health insurance while they are under 65 years old.

After 65 Medicare kicks in but it does not cover everything and many doctors refuse to accept the low payments paid by Medicare, so you have to buy a supplemental health care insurance that will cost you at least $600 per month!

Welcome to the golden years of retirement in the USA....NOT!!!!!!!

Archived