Fresh Pepper

The_Munchmaster

I love fresh ground pepper and put it on almost everything I eat.

The biggest problem is getting a good grinder, one that produces big flakes of pepper and not just a fine dust.

I've bought many over the past 20 years but only recently I've discovered that some of the best grinders are the ones that are actually built into the pepper corn refill jars. So every time you but more corns you get a new grinder.

They should be cheap and nasty but actually they work extremely well.

An Extract From Barlows Woods

"Barlow woke up and there were four rabbits nubling around his toes for pepper corns and they scampered off when he sat up. He did not think it odd not to know any origins. But he had to write a piece of the settling of planets for the next edition. And the one after that why people peel oranges the way they do and not other ways. But he knew nothing of planets and nothing of settling. He looked around and thought it might be nice to do something. So he stood up and stepped back into the water. And when he had had enough he walked back to the forest to get to work."

Don't know what the feck that has got to do with it! :dunno:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out the battery-operated pepper grinder available at Verasu. It is adjustable for various grinds and even has a light so you can see where the pepper is going. Verasu shows normal price around 1200B but they are always on sale for 690B.

People at Verasu love to demo them because they know they will get a sale.

In Bkk, they are available at the Emporium Verasu, Isetan Verasu in Central World, Virasu stores (on Wittayu and Lard Prao) and probably other locations.

Here a picture from the Verasu website:

http://www.verasu.com/Thai_version/productdetail_vs.asp?productid=45481

Every time we have US visitors eat at our house, they like our pepper grinder so much they buy one to take home.

I love fresh ground pepper and put it on almost everything I eat.

The biggest problem is getting a good grinder, one that produces big flakes of pepper and not just a fine dust. ....

I, too, like fresh pepper and not having found a decent grinder which makes big flakes, I've resorted to placing the peppercorns on a cutting board and smashing then with flat object. Works for me!

Check out the battery-operated pepper grinder available at Verasu. It is adjustable for various grinds and even has a light so you can see where the pepper is going.....

Thanks for that Verasu. :thumbup: However fortunately I don't eat in the dark and therefore don't need the light. :grin:

Seriously though, it's a nice looking machine, just hope it performs?

d_ZZZ-PEPPER.jpg

Among Chefs Peugot pepper corn mills are highly regarded because of the quality of the mechanical grinding parts which operate in two stages. first crushing the kenel then grinding it.

They have electric models, I however enjoy the feel of turning the well made machine and the feel of the kernels crushing. And never needing to wory about the batteries.

I chose the smaller smaller of the two here. It has a dial ring at the bottom to adjust the grade of grind I prefer, which varies for me depending on the food I'm preparing. Not cheap though, it cost me in Canadian dollars $110 pluss taxes.

Unfortunately the manufacturers neares outlet to Thailand would be Vietnam. Buthe shop I bought it from does online sales Williams-Sonoma

Mortar and pestle is the way to go.

OK, I am a lazy bastard because I have the gf to crunch the pepper corns.

Every Thai kitchen has a mortar and pestle anyway.

She buys the peppercorn at the local market. I will pay more attention to different varieties.

Colorwolf, you go to Kampot and Ha Tien to buy some?

I have a pepper corn mill, but she would never use it, preferring her crunching pepper corns with the mortar.

I also have an electric Moulinex chopper to chop meat which she tried a few times, but she will chop meat on a wooden board with a big kitchen nife.

Archived