Fresh Pepper

The_Munchmaster

I also have an electric Moulinex chopper to chop meat which she tried a few times, but she will chop meat on a wooden board with a big kitchen nife.

I know they're popular in Thailand (and most of Asia), but wooden chopping boards are really unhygenic. The bacteria gets trapped in the grains of the wood and just festers there. It's gross.

Much better to get one of the new-style plastic ones with the anti-bacterial coating.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also have an electric Moulinex chopper to chop meat which she tried a few times, but she will chop meat on a wooden board with a big kitchen nife.

I know they're popular in Thailand (and most of Asia), but wooden chopping boards are really unhygenic. The bacteria gets trapped in the grains of the wood and just festers there. It's gross.

Much better to get one of the new-style plastic ones with the anti-bacterial coating.

I tried one of those plastic chopping boards but it just didn't feel right so I switched back to wood. Spent a fortune on a big checkerboard motherfucker and one of my maids left it to soak one night in the sink and it split the next morning :cussing:

Wooden boards are hygenic if you clean them immediately after you have been chopping meat or fish with a fresh lemon :thumbup:

Moo Noi, your point about wooden boards being unhygenic did seem plausible until I read this:

Wooden or Plastic ... some myths on chopping boards

Posted 12 December, 2001 by PAF-News

"I have always opted for a wooden chopping board, simply for esthetic reasons, but at some point I was rather concered about germs that may remain in the wood. The reason for this was perhaps the fact that new plastic cutting boards were advertised on TV, trying to convince everyone that plastic was better because it is non-porous.

Then I started reading and investigating and surprisingly enough, a wooden board is no harm to you. Wood cutting boards are actually better not only for your knifes but hygene too ...

Myth 1 - wooden boards are so porous that harmful organisms such as salmonella, e-coli and listeria soak in, are hard to remove, and easily contaminate other foods placed upon it later.

Myth 2 -plastic, because it is not porous, can be more easily and safely cleaned.

The fact is that although everyone believed those myths are true, including health officials, no one actually tested them until 1993.

I read that Microbiologists at the University of Wisconsin's Food Research Institute contaminated wooden cutting boards and plastic ones with all bacteria that cause food poisoning.

What happened?

Without washing or touching the boards, the bacteria on the wooden board died off in three minutes. On the plastic board the bacteria not only remained but actually multiplied overnight.

It seems wood has a natural bacteria-killing property, which plastic does not.

Anyway, this doesn't mean you have to rush off to the shop to buy a wooden chopping board. As long as you wash the plastic with anti-bacterial cleaner, you are pretty safe :-)"

:neener:

.....and one of my maids left it to soak one night in the sink and it split the next morning :cussing:

Only one of your maids did it? Not all 3 of them? :rolleyes:

No just one, how many maids do you think it takes to lift a feckin chopping board :dunno:

Archived