New GF or Thailand? (Revisted)

scott808

I broke up with my gf about 5 weeks ago. But when we were together she told me things about Thailand. (Diseases)

I also learned from a friend of mine that his friend went to Thailand a few years ago and contracted hepatitis C and gave it to his wife. And recently a bartender in Honolulu contracted hepatitis C. Was work one day and dead the next day. Her husband died 5 days later. Now the son has it.

Just wondering how the hepatitis issues in Thailand?

You can get a vaccination for A and B.

Hep. C you contract through contact with infected blood, like unprotected sex, tattoos with dirty equipment, sharing needles when using drugs. So pretty much the same as hiv, which presumably you're also not keen on contracting.

So go have a discussion with your healthcare provider on possibly getting shots for A and/or B, and practise safe sex to not contract B and C.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a doctor. The above may be completely false. Go talk to your healthcare provider.

I'm pretty sure there's no medicinal 'cure' for C although around 20-30% of people infected with it actually manage to clear the virus from their bodies in the very early stages. If that's not done, it is pretty serious (you can't really drink alcohol for a start :( ).

There's a vaccination for A and B but not C yet.

Hepatitis C

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Hepatitis C is a blood-borne, infectious, viral disease that is caused by a hepatotropic virus called Hepatitis C virus (HCV). The infection can cause liver inflammation that is often asymptomatic, but ensuing chronic hepatitis can result later in cirrhosis (fibrotic scarring of the liver) and liver cancer.

The hepatitis C virus (HCV) is spread by blood-to-blood contact with an infected person's blood. The symptoms can be medically managed, and a proportion of patients can be cleared of the virus by a long course of anti-viral medicines. Although modification of diet and early medical intervention are helpful, people with HCV infection often experience mild symptoms, and consequently do not seek treatment. An estimated 150-200 million people worldwide are infected with hepatitis C. In the U.S., those with a history of intravenous drug use, tattoos, or who have been exposed to blood via unsafe sex or social practices are high risk for this disease. Hepatitis C is the leading cause of liver transplant in the United States.

The hepatitis C virus is one of six known hepatitis viruses: A, B, C, D, E, G."

The most common treatment for Hep C these days is Interferon. Like someone said before Hep C in many case if treated correctly disappears over time however excessive consumption of alcohol is the worst thing for it. Worst case scenario is liver cancer.

Archived