Now Thermae's done Early, How's Bangkok Changed?

Savittre

Well, there was a lot said about it, when Thermae changed its closing time to 2 am... I assume that still is the closing time, and as a few months have gone by, I'm curious to know how this has affected the scene. Has the Biergarten picked up because of this? Nana Disco?

Does anyone even go to Thermae anymore!?! Is it still worth a visit? Thanks!!

Actually, it's the early close of Thermae and the growth of the sidewalk.

I never thought of this before but I wonder how the Thais feel about the situation on the sidewalk.

Things are fine behind closed doors and I am sure the Japanese clubs are doing fine. Thermae was always an outlet, but while it was on the main drag of Sukhumvit, it was always low key and low visibility. The sidewalk outside of Thermae has now taken on a life of it's own. At 11:30 or so I see the food vendors arrive and begin to setup shop. I have no clue when they leave, but I've been there till 5am and food is still being served. Now the girls are wrapping up alcohol in paper and drinking on the street. While this can be very entertaining, I don't think it is good for Thailand at all. Thermae should be left as an outlet. On a lark, I hung out at Grace after hours. I really iinntteerreessttiinngg place.

<<burp>>

Was in Thermae last night around 01:00, and while the talent was not spectacular considering that rent is due today, it wasn't bad. Went to Cowboy and walked back by Thermae around 02:30 and the street was filled with girls milling around and sitting at the food stalls, all quite obviously looking for potential customers. The death of Thermae has been greatly exaggerated!

Ranger

quote:

Originally posted by gummigut:

Actually, it's the early close of Thermae and the growth of the sidewalk.

I never thought of this before but I wonder how the Thais feel about the situation on the sidewalk.

<<burp>>

This is a great point gummigut - and you need to get some antacid for that burping problem of yours.

To take your point a little further, how about the whole scene on the sidewalks (both sides of the street) on Sukhumvit from about Asoke to Soi 3? Yes, you used to have occasional streetwalkers there in the past. Now, try walking that stretch around 2AM. It is a gauntlet of grabbing hands and 'hello, handsum man.' The cops don't seem very interested in breaking up that scene.

So, which looks better? A bunch of fun-loving ladies and punters behind doors in Thermae or Angels Disco, or this large group of Thai ladies lurking in the shadows or just openly soliciting on the street?

Maybe foot patrols are next in the works to rid the city of this latter problem. Or maybe mount a few cops on elephants and let them ride up and down Sukhumvit chastising the loiterers.

Nonsense, right? But, until they get it into their heads that the sanuk will continue to move about to a location wherever it can, we may be faced with more craziness. One of the great things about this list is to have the reports on where the sanuk has moved to next. Grace Hotel? Why not.

gummigut points out that things are starting earlier now. I was there in July after the closing time was changed to 2 AM. It was going strong at 11PM and clearing out about 1:45AM

Just think, if you used to pick out your girl at 3AM and now do it at 1AM you have 2 more hours of sanuk!

Archived