Morris Dancing

The_Munchmaster

Is this gay or what?

CotswoldMorrisHandkerchiefs20040501_CopyrightKaihsuTai.jpg

A morris dance is a form of English folk dance usually accompanied with music. It is based on rhythmic stepping and the execution of choreographed figures by a group of dancers. Implements such as sticks, swords, tobacco pipes, and handkerchiefs may also be wielded by the dancers.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

too true.

a friend of mine was into morris dancing in a big way.

the big Day is Mayday and they start dancing outside a pub at 6am.

one dance,a drink and onto the next pub.

i tried to keep up with the drinking but was wasted within a few hours.......... :drunk:

Nope, not Irish.

We do have these guys called "Wren Boys" who go around dressed as women, extorting money from people on St. Stephen's Day (the day after CHristmas). They also sing and dance, but in a considerably more threatening and sinister manner than these Morris nancy boys, I can assure you.

It's just a sport, probably less nancy like than lawn bowling. The Scots do something like it with skirts on, they make it even more sus by calling the dances foursomes and eightsomes. (I quote G.M. Fraser here).

Highland dancing used to be a required activity for officers in Scottish regiments, and for all I know probably still is.

It's just a sport, probably less nancy like than lawn bowling. The Scots do something like it with skirts on,.....

Heeeyyyy, now wait a minute. You cannot possibly be suggesting that poofy english morris dancing can be compared with macho Scottish highland dancing.

PasDeBasque.gif

And they're called kilts.....not skirts! nono.gif

I suggest those who think Morris dancers are gay -- though admittedly it does look decidedly poofy -- walk up to them some time and tell them that. Let me know, so I can video tape the results!

:shocked:

p.s. The style in my grandfather's home county (Norfolk) originally involved farm workers who would carry a plough around with them. They'd enter a village, offering to dance and expecting to be fed and filled with ale in return. If they were turned down, they'd plough the hell out of everyone's lawns!

Archived