American History X

candyfloss

The good thing about American Psycho was the Huey Lewis stuff. :D The rest I could take or leave.

Fight Club will stand up well with time, I think. It was publicised at the time with all this clothes chic stuff in magazines and it's got fighting so many people dismissed it as being all about style. But in many ways it's ingenious and makes deeper points about life. And it's entertaining at the same time.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< Anyway, the interesting thing about society nowadays is that you now see black and white males having comradery over women and immigrants. >>

We got along great in the Army. Maybe it's the macho cameraderie or something.

p.s. Surprising amount of black-white mixed marriages in the Army now -- between the guys and gals, I mean! I suppose the common denominator is that everyone is Army, and that takes precedent over race.

"The good thing about American Psycho was the Huey Lewis stuff. The rest I could take or leave."

American Psycho was a very entertaining movie :smirk: Film makor actually managed to fit the book's spirit in a 90mns feature, cutting through cleverly the most boring parts.

Other books from Bret Easton Ellis are even more interesting. "Less than Zero" was kind of bible for me when i was 20 and "The Informers" is probably Ellis better achieved text, although he's ripped off his three prvious novels writing it. A must read if there is.

I hope my kids will have slightly more positive role models though - but a well built wealthy guy wearing high end italian suit who would keep torn off human vaginas ornemented with hermes silk ribbon in his sports club locker always made much sense to me - for some reason :dunno:

I don't think BEE is a particularly good writer except in his limited sophomoric field. Salinger is much better IMO and he does it without the gore. But it is interesting to see writers working at the edge of their imaginations. I'm always wondering what comes next.

Ever been tempted to tear off a vagina yourself?

CW,

BEE published "Less than zero" when he was 19, so prolly wrote it when he was 18. That's *very* impressive, and IMO when I was readin both better than what Rimbaud wrote when he was 16.

Agree though he didn't follow up as dashingly as he started.

Ah yeah... although I was dead broke at that age I could empathise very much with his characters - especially the "Less than Zero" ones . Patrick Bateman came later. He's a funny hero... he's got most of the qualities I respect in someone but I would definetely not like dealing with his mental mess. I love the idea of the torn vagina and hermes pink ribbon though...

Yes BEE has a vivid imagination and I thought Less Than Zero was well written considering his age. He caught the LA drug scene very well...or so I'm told by someone who lived through it. He seemed to be having more fun with Psycho. I actually prefer his writing style to Pahlaniuk but I think they're both too preoccupied with being 'cool'.

CW,

just wished to tell you I left this thread to rest you lost me completely. That's when I start thinking I should't have stopped reading so young. Will google Pahlaniuk as i have no clue who he is and even Salinger, becaus it seems I got the wrong idea.

Archived