American History X

candyfloss

I watched this movie last night. It was fucking magnificent. I found myself drawn to Ed Norton's Nazi KKK character (but not in a gay way). Is this bad ? Should I feel ashamed ? Surely there is no place in this multi-cultural society we live in for such violent thoughts and behaviour ?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the movie a few years ago (where ya been, its been out a while?). I thought it was a good movie as well. Norton did a great job. Can't say I was drawn to him though for obvious reasons. :smirk:

The scene with him and the guy in the laundry was good. Over time he warmed up to the guy and realized (what a lot of us know and some of us should) that you have to take people one at a time and not generalize whole nations, races, etc. He realized the black guy in the laundry wasn't such a bad guy.

Who ever wrote that movie though did't pull punches and asked some very uneasy questions about matters of race and other touchy subjects.

The kerb scene... :shocked:

Just to dwell on the gore, what exactly happens there? If it's just bashing the head, why the need to bite the kerb? And, if it's a well-known way to cause death, why did the other guy submit to it? It made me think it was just going to be something to do with his teeth being knocked out.

Tony Soprano did it to someone a couple episodes back in the Sopranos as well, but it was the edge of a sink I think.

I'd to think if I was goinna die anyway, I'll try to fight the guy instead of just submitting. I'd rather get shot than have that happen. Its faster.

Or about possibly unintended, ultimately negative, consequences of well-meant interference?

The well-intended intervention of 'affirmative action' created resentment where there was previously none.

The ideas were laid for Derek in the scene at the dinner table when his father made his views known.

But, to me, Derek's father didn't seem to have any issues that didn't stem from the affirmative action and I doubt he would have even noticed, let alone questioned, Derek's school reading matter if he hadn't experienced the interference at his workplace. The implemetation of that gave him a focus for everyday frustrations that he could build upon.

Maybe, before the 'affirmative action' program, Derek and his father regarded poorer black applicants favourably, instinctively recognising that they might have had bigger hurdles to jump than a white man from a more affluent or luckier background. So, ironically, they would naturally have given them more credence and respect. A sort of natural affirmative action.

But with one swift action, the advent of 'affirmative action', that natural bias is disastrously reversed! It makes them regard every black applicant with suspicion, as unworthy.

Archived