thai immigration and return ticket

dabbish

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on what type of visa you have, if you are arriving and getting a thirty day waver then you could be refused entry.

If travelling without a visa the airline should ensure that you have a return ticket so they would be held liable, happened to me a couple of years ago I was refused to fly by Emirates because I had a one way ticket to LOS and no visa. Had to buy a refundable ticket to Singapore from Bangkok before they let me on.

If you are arriving overland again they might refuse you entry without an onward flight etc

I haven't heard of Thai immigration asking for proof of an onward ticket but, if they did, I suppose you could comply by purchasing one while still in the sterile area.

The delivering airline is more likely to enforce this rule upon check-in, as in Ckrisg's case, because they could be potentially fined if Thai immigration were to actually check and you couldn't produce.

Depending upon your nationality, my guess is you'd be most likely to be hassled by Thai immigration if you have a "hippy appearance" (they have a vague rule that says they can deny you entrance for that).

Yea once,maybe 16-18 years ago I hade been in Indo for three months surfing in the middle of no -where and came back to LOS almost directly from Penang,Sumatra...I admit I was abit unkept :dunno:. I was let into LOS but he noted in paassah Thai IN my passport that I had a ragged tee shirt on and my hair was long... For two years they kept reading that little bit of thai and hassling me.I finally got a new passport. :)

Why is Bangkok only airport to ask for the boarding pass?

Good question. You got me. :dunno:

Most countries will put a departure stamp in your passport (except the USA), you've got an arrival card and hopefully a ticket receipt, and the airlines have passenger manifests. Why they need to see your boarding pass stub, I do not know. :rolleyes: Got me out of the habit of leaving them in the seat-back pocket though. Maybe they're just trying to help the cleaners. :)

Also never been asked upon arrival in Bangkok (gettign the 30day tourist visa) - and only once asked for proof of onward flight booking and that was in Australia.... presentation of a couple of hundred dollars and a credit card seemed to be sufficient evidence of non-hippyness :D

Incidentally, a, err, friend of mine, tells me he simply edits a copy of his old air-asia eticket on his pc then prints it out, just in case. Shurely thish musht be illegal - terrible idea.

Probably they want to see in what class you travelled, as CT reported the 90/180 rule isn't enforced on 1st class passengers.

I've never showed boarding pass at arrival.

2 years I bought my tickets from Thai Airways in Pattaya and never had any problems in BKK. Until a SAS employee at the check-in counter in CPH destroyed that by demanding to see a ticket taking me out of Thailand, I protested but she asked the TGs manager who had to confirm the rule, so I had to buy a one-way ticket to KL from SAS ticket office (business so I could get the money back), again she protested as Malaysia according to their rulebook also demanded a return ticket, this time TGs manager didn't support her. :thumbdown:

Seems to be some confusion over this. I recently bought one way on TG LHR-Bkk (UK passport holder) with non imm multi visa. Travel agent said OK consul said OK -TG said no way can I use it (after they sold it) and that I would have to cancel, pay £150 fee then book a double. Went into their london office- no probs and they called airport here to be sure. However TG 'customer service' still said no. Eventually the very hepful thai consul here provided me with a letter stating i AM entitled to enter the kingdom on a one way. If refused I will sue TG for breech on contract. TG in the office told me TG reservations don't all know what they are doing since the visa regs changed last year, not good enough thinks me.

Archived