$881.00 roundtrip from NY to Bangkok (taxes included)

I'm not very familiar with Cathay Pacific as I usually fly Star Alliance carriers. I would suspect that they are pretty decent being an Asian carrier and certainly preferrable to any domestic carrier flying to Asia.

I guess I could use status on One World and this flight would definitely provide that but when the itinerary is entered and the price displayed on Cathay's site, it comes up with an X under AAdvantage Miles. :dunno: The class shows as restricted economy L. Do you OneWorld members know if that means no miles will be credited on this flight for AA members?

Not a great deal IF you factor in the opportunity cost of no AA miles. As an AA Platinum, I'd normally get 32K miles, worth anywhere from $300 to $600 in value, depending on your point of view.

I'd guess there will be plenty of FF earning flights available for <$1k in the fall.

The miles are worth even more when you consider that it takes 90,000 miles to book a C class ticket from North America to South East Asia. Throw in the stopover that is allowed (and I always take advantage of this) and you are looking at a ticket price of anywhere from $3000.00 to $9,000.00

That makes the value of those miles closer to $1000 to $3000.

Needless to say, I wont be making use of this fare but for those of us who are not mileage whores :grinyes:... its a good price.

You guys are right. Better off going the mileage route in the long run. These fares are targeted for those who don't care about mileage, although you can get CX mileage, so if you're a frequent flyer on them, or you don't care, it's a good deal.

Alliance mileage points are expensive to the airline, so giving them at a fare like that would be a pretty sure money loser.

Archived