Thai police order Thaksin return

rickfarang

Comment: Personally, I see this as very funny:"If they fail to appear, they could be sent to jail,"

I am sure there is some rational reason that I do not understand for their saying this, but it made me smile all the same.

----------------

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6766435.stm

Thai police order Thaksin return

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra (file image)

Thailand's ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra has been ordered to appear before police in Bangkok next week to face corruption charges.

Thai police have charged Mr Thaksin and his wife with secretly concealing assets in a property company owned by his family.

Police said Mr Thaksin could face arrest if he did not show up.

He is currently living abroad, after his government was toppled in a military coup last September.

Mr Thaksin and his wife Pojaman were ordered to appear before the police by 29 June, police said.

"If they fail to appear, they could be sent to jail," Sunai Manomai-udom of the special investigations department said.

He said Mr Thaksin and his wife would be charged on two counts of violating disclosure rules concerning the company SC Assets, which was part of the family's Shin Corp telecoms empire.

Dissolved party

Since he was ousted in last year's bloodless coup, a special committee has been investigating Mr Thaksin's affairs for alleged corruption.

The controversy surrounds his family's sale of Shin Corp to a Singaporean firm in January 2006.

In May, his party, Thai Rak Thai, was found guilty of electoral violations by a Thai tribunal, and ordered to be dissolved.

Mr Thaksin and more than 100 other senior party officials were banned from politics for five years.

Since he was toppled, the former prime minister has been living abroad - mainly in London. His wife has been in and out of Thailand.

If thats all they could get him on, then they are either inept at their jobs or he is indeed innocent of pretty much evertything they have accused him of.

Concealing money in property is the number one rule that politicians MUST break...hardly cause for him to be ousted in a military coup though...

Sounds like desperation on the authorities part to me. :confused:

"...Comment: Personally, I see this as very funny:"If they fail to appear, they could be sent to jail,"

I am sure there is some rational reason that I do not understand for their saying this, but it made me smile all the same..."

I think the basic spirit of this is similar to when you get a traffic summons. It basically means you MUST show up and answer the charge. If you fail to appear, you are basically in contempt of court, and can be charged/held for that, even if acquitted of the original charge...er, if I recall from my various times involved with such proceedings...

Archived