About the French

Man at Work

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting post Chealseafan... wine tasing courses are on the program for our next free week ends in Paris - when those ever happen.

Besides, if US mixes up Champagne with sparkling wine, it deserves to lose a war... or something in the same vein said the bird while beeing pushed through the window...

Kojis,back home and completely trashed from too many wine and champagne glasses on the Eurostar Premier Class...

CF.

i have no idea where i went.

i was a guest of the organisers of the Rheims Marathon and some of us were taken on a night out to visit the local area.

what i saw was impressive to me as i had never seen so many bottles in one place at a time.

it seems i have been short-changed by what i saw........i wished i had seen something larger now.

Must be an interesting job Chelseafan...Are you a qualified wine taster? When your in LOS, I take it that you enjoy your beer rather than wine?

No not qualified, my pallet is not good enough and to be honest, I get a bit bored with it all, especially at wine tastings where there are a load of pretentious wankers around.

On the plus side, its great to see sales soar when we've picked a good wine.

I'm more of an ale guy myself, though always drink Singha in LOS :D

Interesting post Chealseafan... wine tasing courses are on the program for our next free week ends in Paris - when those ever happen.

Besides, if US mixes up Champagne with sparkling wine, it deserves to lose a war... or something in the same vein said the bird while beeing pushed through the window...

Kojis,back home and completely trashed from too many wine and champagne glasses on the Eurostar Premier Class...

He he :D

I could be wrong, but I understand that there is a recent agreement between the US and the French that the US winemakers will stop labelling up their sparkling as Champagne.

CF.

i have no idea where i went.

i was a guest of the organisers of the Rheims Marathon and some of us were taken on a night out to visit the local area.

what i saw was impressive to me as i had never seen so many bottles in one place at a time.

it seems i have been short-changed by what i saw........i wished i had seen something larger now.

Not at all, Its amazing to see these places. Some of the smaller Champagne houses produce excellent quality wine. :D

I read the OP as a piss take on the US......and mildly amusing.

Anyway, onto the serious stuff - booze :D

I have spent a lot of time in France on holaday since I was 3 foot tall (and, no - I do not speak the lingo :smirk: ).......french wine? good and bad of course, but my (non expert) impression (whether right or wrong) is that the French have a tendency to put any old shit in a bottle (especially for Export), in the belief that as it has "Made in France" on the label that their is always a market for it.........whereas the New World wine producers had to actually make wine which the punters liked, at a competetive price.......of course now that the New World has overcome the initial hurdle of "Not being French" whether this remains true or not is another question.......

The Best wine tasting session I ever had was 6 months in NZ about a dozen of so years ago when I was an older member of the backpacker circuit.......when the youngsters were buying their wine according to how big and cheap, me and an Aussie were doing about 3/4 bottles of decent wine most nights and we built up quite a decent wine list. Which I later lost. After drinking too much :(

Happy days.

I agree with yout to a point, I think the differnce between french and new zealand is that the kiwi's produce more commercial stuff in general, Villa Maria, Montana, Jackson Estate etc.

The French, do not do this, nor do they sell out to the retailers ideals of promoting the arse out of them - they let the wine itself do the talking.

In the UK 85% of wine in the grocers is sold from their gondola ends, i.e. on promotion, many people do not even walk up the wine aisles!!! :(

There is defintely a load of shit wines in France, but the sheer amount of different styles, varietes etc gives it the edge.

Incidentally, it seems that the New world wines are on the wane and old world is coming back into vogue. A big problem for the Australians is that a lot of crop has been wiped out this year due to bad weather and apohxylla (vine eating bug) so expect price increases towards the back of the year on things like Penfolds, Jacobs Creek and Hardys....

What depresses me the most about the French market is that its so complex, the appellation system doesn't mean sweet fuck all to the average consumer, where as North American, Oz and Kiwi winerys slap labels on bottles that are informative and straight to the point.

Of course this is only my opinion and the great thing about wine, is that one mans meat is anothers mans potato.

Sorry to hear about losing the list, sounds like its the sort of thing I do :(

Oh good. Does that mean we can be friends?.....

Steady on!

I've just spent 10 days in Morooco (posting this from Casablanca airport) and drank Moroccan wine most nights. Not too bad and reasonably priced compared to anything imported which is seriously expensive.

Archived