Icehockey World Championship 2008, Canada

Mentors

Can Finns shut down Russia?

Big wins over Russia in 2006 and 2007 have Finland hoping

In the quarter-finals, Russia didnâ??t have to react much to the Swiss, since a pair of first-period own goals essentially sealed the fate of the underdogs. :doah: But Finland, which also defeated a stacked Russian team 4-0 in the 2006 Olympic semi-finals, will initiate more than Switzerland did. The Russians will need to keep their emotions in check when a Tuomo Ruutu or Olli Jokinen gets in their faces. Unlike, say, how Kovalchuk reacted with his hit on Vauclair.

http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-world-championship/news/news-singleview-world-championship/article/can-finns-shut-down-russia-again.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=552&cHash=63aa13dad7

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our chance is definitely hit them hard and play physically and with great discipline. If Russians get frustrated with no goals they usually start to play as solo artists. We have our chance but I wouldn't bet any money on it. Players like Ovetchkin need only one chance to score, they don't miss.

Interesting to see how Sweden is doing with Canada. I didn't believe in Swedish team at all but they have improved their game a lot and with Sweden in question you never know. Luck always seems to be on the Swedes side.

Good games tonight and I gotta go buy a six pack of beer that I can manage the tension :)

I didn't believe in Swedish team at all

Not many Swedes did either but if we have gotten this far nobody knows what will happen. A couple of NHL players made made a difference but of course Canada has more of them and very good at that.

first semi final:

Russia - Finland 4:0

ej hyvä suomi! :shakehead

Finland was a bit similar helpless as Switzerland before against Slava Bykow's Russian team.

Russia was souvereign!

RUSSIA REACH THE WORLD CUP FINAL! :alert: :_party:

later tonight

Sweden - Canada

Well we lost as I expected, no way we could have win that game. Russians played very wise, and they used every chance they had. We just don't have guys who can score, Selänne, O.Jokinen and S. Koivu are former stars.

Well I hope we can still get bronze, Sweden we can beat for sure :smirk:

just something i remember from the past about Russian coach Slava Bykow: He played some years in Switzerland (has the Swiss passport today)

When i was in the stadium - and Bykow rushed and stormed forward, i get often a cold! :shifty:

back to the World Cup:

i'm not really shure that Finland has to play against - Sweden - for the Bronze medal.

Often Sweden get stronger and stronger during a tournament.

Canada has not won yet! :alert:

But anyway, Russia will win the title :stirthepo

i'm not really shure that Finland has to play against - Sweden - for the Bronze medal.

Hehe I just expect Canadians to win hands down. But sure everything is possible, Sweden has been capable for unbeliavable achievements before also.

But I sure hope Finland's last game is against our beloved/hated enemy/friend Sweden :)

Archived