To the Airport - Bus or Taxi

Hamokhamok

I always take a limo from the airport to my hotel and if the hotel had them I'd take one back again. They don't, so a taxi which picks you up at the hotel entrance does fine. The idea of having to drag my luggage around the streets in the heat of Bangkok to get to a bus stop is not something I would even think about. :sad:

I overheard, while riding the airport bus, Thais discussing the airport bus fare. One was surprised Falang paid 150. Not sure what Thais pay, but I'm going to pay attention next time I ride.

I believe there may be double pricing or "some Thais ride free" going on.

Update for parties who may be interested.

Further to my request for information on this matter:

Took taxi from outside Majestic Suites at 6:30 pm on Wednesday last.

Went via the toll road.

Arrived at the Airport at 7 pm.

Fare as on the meter 187 Baht

Tolls extra 40 + 25 Baht.

Alleged surcharge for taxi to airport 50 baht.

Total 302 plus tip.

Note Driver said it would cost 450 Baht plus tolls. He emphasised it by saying that the airport was outside Bangkok you know. This statement just made me smile to myself and was very tempted to ask him was Don Mueng not also outside Bangkok. I told the driver it may be more like 300 Baht on which we agreed. Of course the Driver was laughing when the meter only showed 187. However, an agreement was made so 300 was paid. I'm saying this to alert others to be cautious on what agreement you make with the Driver. I should add I was happy and so was he. No tip needed since he got 65 Baht anyway over the odds.

The only airport surcharge is when a taxi picks-up at the airport, not dropping off.

There are Airport Bus signs at some of the Sukhumvit bus stops but as stated before, the wait can be unpredictable, sometimes long; then three buses will come along in two minutes.

Once you are on the bus, it is actually pretty quick, it jumps onto the x-way and gets to Suvarnabhumi in about 25 minutes. The last time I took it the fare was still B100 but that may have changed.

I do like to take that bus when I leave the airport: schedules are predictable and it drops me off a block from my soi.

Archived