US Travelers: Rare Chance to Have Your Voice Heard

preahko

If you travel frequently in the US, you may want to take time to check this out: the DOT is considering raising the mandatory compensation that airlines have to pay when they bump you from the flights they frequently (and arrogantly, in my opinion) overbook. And the DOT wants to hear YOUR opinion on what compensation should be.

If anyone has traveled in the US this summer, you know how bad things are getting...the US airlines are truly getting out of control in how they treat passengers. Here's an opportunity for you not to "get back" at them, but to possibly influence a decision which will force them to be more civil and fair and treat us travelers as human beings:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/02/DDLARAVTS2.DTL&feed=rss.travel

preahko

Oh, and the other thing--which I'm not sure if this planned policy change addresses, but it should--is the frequent sudden canceling of flights when you're in the middle of a journey and waiting for a connecting flight. Maybe if the cost to the airlines of pulling that--and the way it is now, just leaving all passengers to fend for themselves--were greater, they wouldn't do it quite so often.

preahko

....and the "mechanical problem" that seems to pop up when the flight is not full, so they double up on the next flight...WTF!!! :mad:

Everytime, yes everytime, going thru Narita, for the past three years, there is always some "mechanical problem" that needs to get sorted but the plane is *** always *** ready to go for the next flight...f'ing liars!!! "mechanical problem" my azzz!

Hmmm, if someone told you there was a mechanical problem with your flight, would you say "bullshit" and get on anyway?

Additionally, keep in mind, many/most, maybe even all US airline employees are really pissed at how we get treated. Recently, pilots (the biggest pricks/whiners of the lot) at a few airlines started pulling "work actions." This is in no way justified, but it shows a bigger problem, which I agree needs fixing.

*IF* the airlines were more flexible with their refunds and re booking, I could see them being allowed to over book a *FEW* seats. but the current system is just out of line. Similar to a doctor booking 10 appointments for the same time, "in case 9 don't show up..." Oh wait, they do that.

I have never, in 27 years in this business, seen anyone use mechanical problems when they weren't legit. Over booking is just bullshit in my opinion, especially around holidays when they know they will be full.

No idea why, but almost all airlines are poorly managed by greedy CEOs who seem to really have no clue. Add to that all the special circumstances they are allowed to pull, and it is just bad business.

Yes, Started in 1980, out of High School, left for 6 months for Army reserve training, returned, worked more, enrolled in University under ROTC, Left Airline in 1983 when they went bankrupt, had stints of TDY and active duty, Graduated 1985, returned to same airline in 1986, after leaving the army. Went to another airline during a merger, got laid off, worked other jobs, mainly air transports, got hired at present company in 1988, been there ever since, a few layoffs had me at other airlines/jobs. Hope that explains it, and yes, it has been an interesting life.

Archived