elaborate hoax or alien technology?

dabbish

Again I am hindered by the inability to draw....

But here is the basic formula as good as I can get it from the limited resources I have here:

Given that you are held down by gravity on a spinning ball and that force ends. We will call the point gravity is "turned off as the "release."

Given a vacuum as that just makes math easier.

An item when released has the velocity value V and the release angle theta:

horizontal component: Vx0, vertical component: Vy0 (in other words: Vx0=V*cos(theta), Vy0=V*sin(theta))

In the vacuum we have:

Horizontal velocity is constant: Vx=Vx0

Now then in a gravity field your Vertical velocity: Vy=Vy0-Gt (G: gravitational constant, t: time)

This gives for the position:

x= Vx0*t

y= Vy0*t-(1/2)*G*square(t)

The item falls back to earth when we have again y=0, giving t=2*Vy0/G

This gives the range:

x=Vx0*t=Vx0*2*Vy0/G=V*cos(theta)*2*V*sin(theta)/G=

2*square(V)*cos(theta)* sin(theta)/G

But if G no longer exists so the item does not have any negative vertical movement so vertical velocity then becomes: Vy=Vy0 and not Vy=Vy0-Gt

-Newton's laws do not allow for an object to move in a curve unless a force is acting on them- and the whole formula becomes: x=Vx0*t=Vx0*2*Vy0=V*cos(theta)*2*V*sin(theta)=

2*square(V)*cos(theta)* sin(theta)

Thusly your range goes to near infinity as you are no longer dividing by the gravitational constant.

With out a vacuum however, the air friction will of course diminish the vacuum range but your object is going to be at the mercy of the wind if a very substantial one is blowing. So Vx=Vx0/A where A=air friction. And then there will be more depending on the surface area, ect.

In words it would sound like this: you are going to fly out from the planet from which you were previously held at a tangent to the circle its rotation makes.

You were in motion from the spin of the planet, moving in a curve, but what stuck you to it now for you no longer exists. Gravity alone is what keeps you to this curve. You are in motion in a curve and once the force keeping you in the curve ends, you will continue moving at the tangent to the curve.

If you would like to come to Gulliver's in about 15 days, I can draw it out and do the formulas for you. (And buy you a pint!)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I'd like the free pint I'm stuck in the US :(

I'd very much like the picture though, perhaps you can scan one in or use MS Paint? :D

Plus I refered to Einsteins law, not Newtons (which you admittedly say was refuted by Einstein).

Cheers though. Perhaps if you are in Thailand around the New Years I'd take you up on the offer :)

Plus I refered to Einsteins law, not Newtons (which you admittedly say was refuted by Einstein).

When you invoked the Special Theory of Relativity it showed you have ZERO understanding of the theory. This problem is clearly in the Newtonian mechanics regime since the velocities involved are tiny compared to the speed of light!

Do the back-of-the-envelope calculation! All you need is Newton's 1st law, the radius of the Earth (6378 km), and the 24 hrs in a day. At the equator, how far above the Earth's surface would you be after 1 hour of G=0? :beer:

When you invoked the Special Theory of Relativity it showed you have ZERO understanding of the theory. This problem is clearly in the Newtonian mechanics regime since the velocities involved are tiny compared to the speed of light!

Do the back-of-the-envelope calculation! All you need is Newton's 1st law, the radius of the Earth (6378 km), and the 24 hrs in a day. At the equator, how far above the Earth's surface would you be after 1 hour of G=0? :beer:

I'm saying that the theory of relativity pertaining to gravity still holds true without gravity(on just ourselves) because the mass around us is still affected by gravity and therefore putting an artificial gravity on us :)

:beer:

Do the back-of-the-envelope calculation! All you need is Newton's 1st law' date=' the radius of the Earth (6378 km), and the 24 hrs in a day. At the equator, how far above the Earth's surface would you be after 1 hour of G=0? :beer:

[/quote']

I'm saying that the theory of relativity pertaining to gravity still holds true without gravity(on just ourselves) because the mass around us is still affected by gravity and therefore putting an artificial gravity on us :)

:beer:

Well, bringing up the General Theory of Relativity for this case shows you have ZERO understanding of the theory. This is in the weak gravitational limit, ie, Newtonian Gravitational Theory is adequate to solve this problem. :beer:

Do a back-of-the-envelope calculation of the gravitational attraction between you and Noi standing 1 meter apart. You will see that the attractive force is too weak to sustain a permanent relationship. :D

Well, bringing up the General Theory of Relativity for this case shows you have ZERO understanding of the theory. This is in the weak gravitational limit, ie, Newtonian Gravitational Theory is adequate to solve this problem. :beer:

Do a back-of-the-envelope calculation of the gravitational attraction between you and Noi standing 1 meter apart. You will see that the attractive force is too weak to sustain a permanent relationship. :D

I'm pretty sure that force depends on the size of my wallet.

Archived