Why did your police kill my granny?

Famous Grouse

And there are hundreds of similar stories to this one.

I liked this letter that appeared in the Nation at the time he bought city.

Dear former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra: This is not a letter from hell. However, it doesn't matter where I live, or to be exact, where I'm drifting.

Just wanna say "Hi", although you surely don't even know me. We have something in common despite the big difference between us: I'm dead, literally, and you're still alive.

I have been a wandering ghost since police gunned me down in 2003, and I guess you, too, now know how it feels to be a drifter. Again, having to float from one spirit house to another in search of boiled eggs is a far cry from dining and lunching at Harrods or having the world's best roasted duck every other day. But I just want to give you my sympathy all the same.

Yes, the asset freeze is so unfair. What laws did they use to do that to you? Where's the evidence of corruption? Do the rights of suspects mean nothing to them? I mean, they haven't even formally charged you, for crying out loud.

The same happened to me - well, more or less. Just as you were targeted because you were rich, I was picked on by the police because I was poor. I matched their drug-peddler stereotype - aggressive behaviour, a long record of petty crime and possibly having been seen a couple of times with well-known dealers - and the rest is history.

That I was innocent is not the most important point. Should they have done that to me even if I had been selling amphetamines? It could have been an honest mistake on my part, you know. I have come across a few restless spirits like myself who were killed simply because of their past drug records. We deserved formal charges and thus the opportunity to defend ourselves in court, just like you did in 2001 when they tried to "dig up" your past mistakes.

At least you have great lawyers, and I wish you all the best. I didn't stand a chance back in 2003 - not after the most powerful man at the time gave the police a virtual green light. I still remember what he said: "Because drug traders are ruthless to our children, so being ruthless back to them is not a bad thing ... It may be necessary to have casualties ... If there are deaths among traders, it's normal."

I'm not sure which is worse: what happened to you under a military junta or what they did to me under a democratic government. But then again, I was a small, ordinary citizen. If the rulers deemed my death acceptable collateral damage in a noble campaign, what can I say? I'm just a nameless and faceless bit in human-rights reports, and the likes of me are worth mentioning in Western-media editorials only when we drop like flies.

So much self-pity from me, but you've got to understand I didn't have an opportunity to say a word before I died. Some columnists and newspaper editorials did mention the plight of people like me, but the journalists didn't fare much better when that man was in power. I remember authorities initiated a secret probe into many senior journalists' bank accounts and defended the action by citing an anonymous tip-off letter. Do you think that's democratic or "fair" to them?

Well, I'm here to express my sympathy and thus don't want to heap too much upon you. I haven't heard you say sorry about the slain drug suspects even once, but I always assume that's because you're busy. Before I drift away, I offer my heartfelt support. This isn't supposed to happen to anyone. Everybody - big or small, rich or poor, powerful or powerless - should be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

But deep down, I believe you will be fine. Even the "unfair" process they apply against you involves subcommittees, committees, lawyers, prosecutors and soon the courts, not to mention the watchful eyes of the local and foreign media. My fate was determined by a blacklist and police on a shooting spree.

Your worst-case scenario is a longer European vacation, a missed chance to own a British football club and a loss of appetite for Peking duck. I'm still having to raid spirit houses every day and cry every night for my rudderless family members.

Yes, the world is so unjust. I wish you the best of luck in telling everyone about the injustice befalling you. And no need to spare a thought for me, because I was as worthless as dead both before and after I died.

Tulsathit Taptim

Link

This story was written a month ago originally for the respectable newspapers. Not one of them would go with it.

The author had to wait til the football season got a bit nearer! (I hear)

And perhaps for Human Right Watch to stir things up.

Or course there are hundreds of stories like this.

Just needs a paper with the will.

www.andrew-drummond.com/2007/08/05/a-question-for-the-billionaire-ex-pm-of-thailand-why-did-your-pol/

Archived