Bullying Barowner threatens foodstalls?

Hey

I was talking to some of the girls from BigDog Bar (opposite Lucky Luke's) - I noticed this fat fucking farang harrassing some of the local fooddsellers on soi 4 directly outside the entrance to Nana.

I asked the girls what it was about and apparantely the fat guy is the bar owner and wants to move all the foodsellers away from Nana entrance as he claims it's affecting his business (I failed to see any food for sale in his overpriced bar?).

From what I could see he was using bullyboy tactics (the fat fuck could sit on them which looked scary to me) to move these people away from their livlihoods and change the face of Nana.

After many years of being in Thailand and now retired here, I've seen farangs come and go and try to impose their dictatorial wills onto others - is it only me who is seeing this more and more? The girls tell me that this guy is paying off the police to strong-arm these vendors out of the area.

If it were affecting his business I'd understand but they've been here for years and don't affect him? If he hates the Thai people and the Thai way so much why is he here making money off them?

What can we do about this?

Who we contact or complain to ensure this doesn't happen?

and does anyone know where I can get rotten fruit to throw at him?

Washington Sq. Ted.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhhh...without taking sides in this long festering issue I think it only fair to point out a couple of things.

The vendors he wants moved are on space he is paying rent for. The vendors are not paying any rent to him for the use of his space. He has the support of many of the bar owners in Nana. He does sell food from both Roadhouse and Woodstock in his bar. The vendors are in violation of several city regulations. The vendors have already put one man in the hospital over this issue. This is the same guy who got the motorcycles and the cars from the Nana Hotel out of the entrance...Remember that mess?

You also ask why the owner of Big Dogs is here making money off of the Thais. I believe he is actually here employing a lot of Thai persons in a joint effort to make money off of the Farangs. He also pays his people one of the highest salaries in Nana Plaza.

I note this is one of your 2 posts to this board. The other was "Why is this so strange? It would seen they got the point across. Sorry to see any thing like this happen to anyone. But you can only push so far. TIT why make it someplace else?" in the thread about Daryl getting wacked in the head. Only push who so far?

You didn't just post this to add fuel to an already explosive situation did you? Your motives are pure and not related to the action coming up in the next several days? You don't have an axe to grind yourself here? You really are only a cusotmer and not a participant in these events? Is there something you are not telling us?

I myself am neutral on this. I buy food from the vendors and am friends with a couple of them. But, they are indeed on property leased by Big Dogs and Luck Lukes. I think I'll sit on the sidelines over this issue.

And finally, as to your question about where to find rotten fruit...I believe on of the vendors sells Durain. Will that do?

.....And people ask why I prefer to remain anonymous........

[ September 23, 2001: Message edited by: nepfan ]

To confirm what Nepfan mentioned, Bigdogs does pay very well, I don't believe you could be a soft touch running a bar in Bangkok. People can sniff out weakness, if you owned a bar, shop and people were soliciting for trade on your premises which you were paying rent for, you would want to move them on.

Yes he's not Thai, does that mean he has no legal rights to protect his trade, would you scorn a chinese restaurant owner in San Francisco who tried to move on husslers from outside his business.

Would he have no right if he was a recent economic immigrant.

crazy.gif" border="0

Nepfan,

What a load of shit.

I've been reading this forum on and off and I am constantly amazed by the bullshit you come up with, this is the first time I've posted because I'm sick of hearing your line of worthless talk.

1. Bigdog bar does NOT own the street/sidewalk or pay rent on the street that these vendors are on, they're on the street or the pavement and do not hawke on his premises or restrict movement into his premises. If he owns that property why did he have problems after the construction of Bigdogs?

2. "The vendors are in violation of several city regulations" - which ones? Nana Entertainment Plaza is in violation of plenty of city regulations? Which laws are you going to enforce and which are you not? Your not a lawyer so don't speak up unless you know what you're talking about.

3. Motorcycles? They still park there and whats the big deal, this is their transportation to work, so what if a bunch of bikes were parked, I always got round them just fine - hey here's a novel idea why not move EVERYONE out of Nana so you can move around freely?

4. This bar pays staff no higher than most other bars in Nana.

5. He has the support of what bar owners? Not the ones I know.

If the previous poster has an axe to grind then good for him, I've been aware of this situation for a few months and it's about time someone mentioned it. Far from sitting on the sidelines it would seem that you and your cronies are very sure in what you want Nana to become, that's fine just don't make up the crap that you normally post on this board to support your own agenda, Nepfan.

Thai Boomer.

I have to agree with Nepfan on this one. (I still have my doubts about this increase in customers in Nana.) I noticed that the motorcyle problem was under control, and I wondered why. The motorcycles were a major safety hazard. If the owner at Lucky Lukes is responsible for fixing that problem, well then I am going to make it a point to buy a few beers there, order some food, and leave a good tip.

If the vendors are on space he rents, they should move.

As to the comment: "After many years of being in Thailand and now retired here, I've seen farangs come and go and try to impose their dictatorial wills onto others - is it only me who is seeing this more and more?" I have lived here, and I have not seen this. I have seen misunderstandings, and I have seen a nationalistic backlash, but I have not seen more and more farangs trying to impose their dictatorial wills on others. I have seen farangs honor their business commitments and expect their local counterparts to do the same...perhaps that is what is meanth by imposition of dictatorial wills.

On the wage issue, let me convey a little story. Before I came here, I worked with a Thai firm (in a jv with a multinational) in the pre-crisis days. The Thai-Chinese owner complained bitterly about competition from multi-nationals. Why? The foreign companies were paying the Thais too much! This same owner would also constantly complain about his foriegn joint venture (American) partner's insistence that their joint venture company comply with environmental, anti-corruption and labour protection laws and standards. Why? It cost too much. He wasn't, however, too bothered about trying to force the jv company to source product from other local companies in his group at inflated prices.

I ran into this same Thai-Chinese businessman last week, and he now complains that multi-national businesses are exploiting the Thai people and destroying the Thai environment. And of course, my personal favorite: "Everybody knows the [dictatorial] Americans engineered the 1997 financial crisis." And the most amazing thing, he says all of this with a straightface. This has nothing to do with nationalism, patriotism or racism - it is just basic greed and hyprocrisy wrapped up in the flag.

[ September 23, 2001: Message edited by: Gadfly ]

quote:

Originally posted by nepfan:

You didn't just post this to add fuel to an already explosive situation did you? Your motives are pure and not related to the action coming up in the next several days?

Come on then, you big tease! What action are you talking about here or can you not say any more? Sorry if this is already covered in another thread.

LG

Gadfly

Save your tips and get a much needed lobotomy - that's the msot retarded response I have ever read.

Did you even read my previous post? The guy does NOT own the land these people are working on.

Fair enough the motorcycles could be a problem to a few whiners but they haven't caused any hazard for the last 7 yrs I've been coming but it has little to do with this post - the rest of your email has zero to do with this post and is typical of the imperialistic crap that comes from some ex-pats to feel-good about themselves.

Thai Boomer

Nepfan :

You are wrong on many points although are right on a few as well.

Yes, I only drink beer and pay the bar for a few girls in Nana Plaza. Like you, I am as well on the sidelines but the issue is not about me or you, or the fact of how many postings I have done on this board.

The issue is that he does not own the sidewalk or the street. These people have as much right to be there as anyone. They have been there far longer that Bigdogs, paying off to the proper people.

I did some checking in the last 24 hours. One of the girls in Pharoahs bar told me of an incident several weeks ago where he verbally and came close to physically abusing one of the prime female managers of a bar I go to. (I know this lady and will follow up on this myself.) How could anyone abuse such a wonderful lady?

This guy has been paying off everyone that he can find to take care of this for him. If you are right (you are not) why are the vendors still there? They do not have the means to pay off everyone. (your comments will only be at the best a guess)

"The vendors are in violation of several city regulations." What violation as Thai Boomer asks?

If you are so sure, what are they? I would guess you would have every vendor on Soi 4 closed so you and the Fat guy can drink alone. Nana Plaza was doing quite well befor this guy came, and much better when he is gone.

By the sounds of axe to grind you have a interest in this as well. Explosive issue? This would not be if BigDogs would just live and let live. TIT not your backyard.

Answer me this? Why just because he has money and pays his employes a salary (which they earn) can he push Thai people around?

Seems you justify this and all of his actions, with your defense of him.

"You really are only a customer and not a

participant in these events? Is there something you are not telling us?"

What actions in the next several days? Sounds like your are in on this as well. Something you are not telling us?

Gadfly,

Seems you are as well one of those that thinks by "keeping these people" down, you can have your way with them. Everyone seems to forget we are guests in this country and as such we should act accordingly toward our hosts.

Your money is no excuse to treat Thai people badly.

Washington Sq. Ted.

To Thai Boomer and the original OP, you obviously have little experience of working within an Oriental / Asian firm. (including Thai)

Thai firms really do get their pound of flesh from their employess, by paying less and providing them with little opportunity for actual advancement.

Big dogs does pay a lot more than the other bars that is fact, most of the girls there stay there a reasonable length and are a lot freeer to move about than girls from other bars, that again is fact.

The land immediately outside the bar ie beyong the wooden bars does belong to the bar, that again is fact.

shocked.gif" border="0

Archived