Bullying Barowner threatens foodstalls?

Shut the hell up. You do not know the facts unless you are paying the girls yourself. Are you?

No one knows what BigDogs pays but the girls and the fat guy. That again is not the issue. Read the post, before you talk shit.

"The land immediately outside the bar ie beyong the wooden bars does belong to the bar,that again is fact."

Fact???? You don't know fact from fiction!

What the hell are you saying, land? By this posting you are saying he owns all the land to Nana hotel and the whole entrance to Nana Plaza?

Again shut the hell up. That is a sidewalk and not the bars and as such is land belonging to the city, FACT. It would seem like you have not read the posting for what it is all about and are just posting a response to kiss the fat guys ass.

Washington Sq. Ted

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know where you get your facts from, but I think your judgment is skewered this is obviously an emotional area for you.

Let me tell you this, it is fact that he pays the girls well, no I don't pay them of course I don't.

Its all to easy as I think you have done to see the proprietor of bigdogs having a verbal stand off with a street vendor.

The symbolism of that is apparant, big bar owning farang shouting at a poor innocent street vendor.

For my part I visit Thailand four / five times per year. So I am fully aware I am no resident expat expert, but I spend a lot of time in the bar, he does appear fair, and a lot of the staff remain.

Why would I be kissing his ass, he doesn't know me from adam.

tongue.gif" border="0

I once went to Roi Et, and met a group of ex-pats there. One seemed a bit uptight, complaining about the infrastructure, the lack of regulations, etc. etc.

The following day when I met the same group of people, this guy wasn't there. He reportedly had gone a bit mad, and hit a Thai girl. He had gone too far, and was promptly beaten up, interestingly by the other ex-pats.

Just before I left the town, I ran into him. He was wearing dark-glasses to hide a black eye and bore quite a few bruises. I asked him how he was. 'You know', he said, 'this place can drive you crazy, if you let it. Maybe I should go home. It's all just too much for me.'

I think that the one thing that all the people on the board who live in Thailand might agree on is that you have to learn to accept that things work differently. You either accept it much of the time, or you go crazy.

I would go far as to say that one of the things I love about Nana Plaza is that you have to climb over a pile of motorbikes to get in, that the entrance is a maze of ramshackle food stalls, and that no-one ever seems to have the slightest idea who owns any of it. I'm told that at the end of the line, the land is owned by the Amari hotel next door.

It does sound to me like this barowner, right or wrong, is somehow missing the point, and at the end of the day, would probably do better to bang his head against a brick wall.

“things work differently. You either accept it much of the time, or you go crazy.”

Ranma500 makes a good point here. I do not particular refer to the owner of bigdog or to the bar scene, but I do sometimes see farangs freaking out completely and if they push it too far, than he will need to get back on track by other means. There are many examples in the past and if the owner of bigdog is really walking around with the attitude as described by the OP, than it is a matter of time and he will have to face it.

As for the wages, it is true that multi-national firms are generally paying slightly higher than Thai firms and I would expect that this is also applicable for wages in the bar scene. I have heard before that girls in farang owned bars are in generally better off.

Hey Spirt of Town Hall - How come you are so sure to ascertain that the property belongs to BigDog in one posting and then in another state you're no expert on Thailand? That land does not belong to Bigdog bar, I very much doubt that you know much about Thailand and the way of life through coming here 4-5 times a year.

I was born in Asia, I run a multi-national company from 6 Asian countries and know only too well how Asian companies work - the same as my Western ones - partly through nepotism, financial incentive and desire to keep a job. This however has nothing to do with the subject of these postings, it's just a worthless topic you brought up in an attempt to justify your so-called facts.

I own property in the Nana area and have business interests within the area, I know the facts of how much you can encroach on the streets and Bigdog bar has broken that law more than once. The vendors although legally have no right to be there, Bigdog bar has no legal right to move them on. As the OP stated, he is bullying them out of their postions.

So like Nepfan, don't post facts unless you know they are facts, you're insulting this whole board by your brand of bull.

Boomer

quote:

Originally posted by WasSqTed:

Nepfan :

I did some checking in the last 24 hours. One of the girls in Pharoahs bar told me of an incident several weeks ago where he verbally and came close to physically abusing one of the prime female managers of a bar I go to. (I know this lady and will follow up on this myself.) How could anyone abuse such a wonderful lady?Washington Sq. Ted.

Let me save you some trouble. The event did occur. The owner of Big Dogs was indeed way out of line. However, the lady in question was in no danger and conducted herself, as usual, with grace and dignity.

If you do, indeed, know her then you also know that it is pointless to ask her about this as she is far too polite to slide down to the level this thread is heading for.

I never said the owner of Big Dogs was a gentle and urbane man. If he were we'd still be walking by three dreadfully boring Bar Beers at the entrance to Nana, stumbling through motorcycles, dog shit and black taxis from the Nana Hotel.

I did say I was neutral on this matter and I remain so. I have nothing against the vendors and would actually prefer they stay as I am beginning to miss the little pieces of Chaos from the Old Bangkok that keep disappearing every day. However, I also see Big Dogs point of view. I'll stay neutral.

I stand by every fact I stated in my earlier post. I have very strong biases about many of the items on this board. However, I always try to listen to the other guys point of view, state my point of view politely and very accurately. I take great pains to post only those facts I am solid on. I am not about to change now. I can live with myself just swell.

How does the old T-Shirt slogan go? "Arguing with me is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while you begin to realize the Pig loves it."

There is certainly room for disagreement on this board.......Oh Boy! Is there ever. However, personal and insulting attacks going on here are silly. I can either jump into the mud with you guys or walk away. I think I'll walk away until the tone of this thread is more civilized. I ain't getting into the mud with y'all.

Long Gun I am sending you private mail on your question. Posting it here would just be "putting out the fire with gasoline" David Bowie.

Palatkik......good comeback...I'll save a ripe one for you.

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: nepfan ]

Washington Sq. Ted and thai_boomer have done a better job than I ever could of establishing the intellectual and moral bankruptcy of their own positions. If you have to resort to that sort of personal invective and attack to support your view, something is seriously wrong. Nothing more really needs to be said.

Khun Sanuk, I do apologise for stating some personal and rude statements but if somebody downright lies as in the case of two of your posters (he DOES NOT own the property the vendors are on) then they should be called on that.

I'll refrain from using personal comments on members of the board.

I don't feel like calling the barowner by his name (as I don't know him personally) so maybe just the "pleasantly plump and follically challenged barowner" would be more in accordance with politically correct views.

I am however amazed at the amount of trash that has been talked by some members when they obviously know little about the situation but prefer to make up the facts to support their views. Maybe these are just his cronies who I see in the corner of his bar with him every evening acting as if they own the whole of Nana?

Boomer

Archived