Rabble-proof Fence

Fidel

looks like Flight centre did it for you

And probably made twice as much money on it as some clapped-out consultant sitting in a Jetset or Harvey World who should have retired years ago! :neener:

I guess that's why Flight Centre is so successful.. because they're useless and all their consultants are crap!! He he he...

Jealousy's a curse! :grinyes:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW i have had a few Beers in the Dee Why RSL.....

And what a legendary place to have a few beers!

You wouldn't recognise the place now, Sayjann.

Had a $12 million redevelopment and gone quite upmarket. (For a "rissole" club anyway).

Actually, Bust and I were there tonight having a steak, a few drinks, and managed to walk out a bit richer after having a win on the hokey-dokeys. (Pokies!)

Very handy for me as its only a 45 second stagger home after a skinful! :D

looks like Flight centre did it for you

And probably made twice as much money on it as some clapped-out consultant sitting in a Jetset or Harvey World who should have retired years ago! :neener:

I guess that's why Flight Centre is so successful.. because they're useless and all their consultants are crap!! He he he...

Jealousy's a curse! :grinyes:

Ha ha ..won't be long :D

Its an Australian-owned chain of travel agents that offers the cheapest flights guaranteed.

They now have stores in Australia, NZ, Sth Africa, UK, America, Canada, Hong Kong.

I guess the comparison could be made by calling it "the McDonalds of the travel industry" - all the stores are standardised to look the same, and offer the same style of service no matter which shop you walk into.

They really shook up the travel industry when they started - suddenly for all the agencies there was serious competition. Whilst other travel agents wouldn't hesitate to mark-up an airfare by $300-$400 on an airfare to Europe, say, (sometimes more), Flight Centre works on volume and has no problem advertising and selling an international airfare with a mark-up of $20 or sometimes less. They will then make the money on add-ons, such as accommodation and (especially) insurance. Commission on travel insurance is about 40%!

The desk in front a consultant is regarded as "their business" and there is unlimited amounts of money they can make. (Consultants get paid a retainer plus commission).

So the other travel agents were pissed off that Flight Centre was coming in and cutting their grass so-to-speak.

A lot of consultants got VERY rich working for them. When they went public and listed on the share market, the CEO guaranteed staff that if they bought $50,000 worth of shares at the price of 90 cents per share they would be a millionaire within 3 years. People who did this were millionaires within 2-and-a-quarter years.

Its also possible for managers of stores to by debentures in other shops and increase their personal wealth.

It has also now set up and bought a host of other subsiduary companies. Its a huge operation.

A lot of consultants for other companies are pissed off at Flight Centre and say that their service is crap and they're a bunch of cowboys. Yes - as with any big organisation there are some consultants working who probably shouldn't be there. But the vast majority of them are hard-working, dynamic young people who are enjoying the rewards of working success.

There's a lot of jealousy out there from other consultants... wages in the travel industry are notoriously low. But when I worked for Flight Centre (I was with them for 2.5 years in total), the first year I was there I earned a salary of $70,000 (this was 7 years ago now) which back then would have been more than a lot of managers of other chains would have been on - and I wasn't even a manager.. just a mere first-year consultant.

The travel industry had it too easy and too cushy for too long - Flight Centre came into the scene, shook it up, and wasn't very popular for doing so.

at the time i went to Oz there weren't that many travel agents in the UK and i think i booked with Thomas Cook.

in fact thinking about it i have a vague memory that the in-laws booked and paid for the tickets.

my Father in-Law was in the Royal Navy and the head of diver training.

he was sent to Oz for 2 Years to teach the Aussie divers.

after he got back to the UK this happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M/S_Herald_of_Free_Enterprise

he was the 1st diver on board the ship and recieved the MBE for his work.

TB may have thought my visit was a little limited but i didn't really have a choice.

only had access to a car at the Weekends so most of the time was spent getting the bus to Manly and then the ferry to Sydney.

they had a Holden? and we spent a Week driving to Brisbane and back.

a little crowded with 7 of us in the car and our luggage.

but the ex and i did manage to have the car and drive to Canberra and Katoomba.

Archived