An Anti-War GOP candidate?

Steve

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070906/ap_on_el_pr/republicans_debate;_ylt=Aujpcxot3btKXYg6q9NhzbiyFz4D

I listened to the Republican debate and I really liked some of the things Texas senator Paul said about not being in the middle east.

No wonder, he was also a former Libertarain candidate years ago. Some things I differ with him on (abortion for one) but of all the candidates he made a compelling reason not to be in Iraq and was brave enough to say so and not pander. Refreshing. I still don't think I can vote for a Republican but if there was one, he'd be one I wouldn't be disappointed with to some extent.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was mentioned a few times that online polls have crowned him champion of 3 of the 4 debates but the mainstream media continues to ignore him. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but how come they mainstream media are ignoring him?

He made compelling arguments for getting out of the middle east totally. Someone said we'd look like we're 'cutting and running' and he said did anyone say Reagan was doing that when he left Beirut?

What I really like is he's his own man. Obama seems that way as well. My first test is for most candidates is who is the least beholden to the speical interests, corporations and the like.

I thought this was interesting...it kinda got buried in the 'liberal' mainstream media...

"The candidate who (along with Dennis Kucinich and Bill Richardson in the Democratic column) simply wants the US out of Iraq, no ifs, ands, or buts--no "combat brigades" vs. advisors--got a higher tally of contributions from people who have "military employers" than any other candidate in the race, Republican or Democrat."

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070730/engelhardt

I liked it when he said 'Why are we still listening to the ones who were wrong (about going into Iraq) n the first place and who have never been right? Why aren't we listening to those who were always right?'

As for the media, its in the hands of a chosen (or more accurate unchosen) few. Between TimeWarner and Murdoch and one or two otheres, there's not much variety in the mainstream. The internet is the last bastion.

This is the best explanation I've seen for how it works.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jay-rosen/would-you-guys-like-us-t_b_63176.html

Journalists may have their own opinions but editors want 'the story'. Press releases and photo-ops are carefully crafted to get the headlines they want and headlines and strong simple images are what stick in most people's minds. Most people don't want nuance, guys like Ron Paul give them a headache.

Archived