US online investing from Thailand?

Palatkik

What is the best option to trade US stocks on line from Thailand? E-Trade? Schwabb? Any advise welcome. I just want to buy and sell occasionally (once a month?) on a web site and have easy access to the cash to spend it as well.

As a non US citizen I've been using a Cititrade Investment Services to trade stocks online for the last few years. I don't need a full service financial service with the exorbitant commission fees to do it. But Cititrade decided to shut their service and pass it onto Smith Barney which so far looks like it is going to be an expensive rip off, especially if you are a foreigner.

I used to have other online brokers before Cititrade, (HarrisDirect and DLJ) but after 9-11 they started insisting on US resident membership only.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I was playing with stocks, I used Scottrade. Was happy with them. But I have no idea on any residency requirements as I stopped playing with stocks in the late 90s.

Looking at their site, the have a page in Chinese, so I'd assume they are open to anyone anywhere :dunno:

Cheers,

SD

I use Sottrade as well. Cheap and easy. I do not know about the US Citizen requirment though....

Another problem (for someone like me) with Scottrade is that (as of the last time I looked at them) they don't allow you to transfer your funds away from Scottrade electronically. They only allow electronic transfers in, not out. Makes it kind of hard to get your money out from Thailand.

I would look for a discount broker like TD Ameritrade which allows one to do free online transfers of funds from the brokerage account to accounts at other institutions which can easily and cheaply be accessed via ATM from Thailand.

...Why does it cost 9$ to trade on Scottrade and 2% or hundreds of dollars to make same trade at Smith Barney web site??

'cause Smith Barney likes to make lots of $$$!

I usd to use the big names a long time ago before there were so many onine traders.

Now, I never use anyone but online.

I would look for a discount broker like TD Ameritrade which allows one to do free online transfers of funds from the brokerage account to accounts at other institutions which can easily and cheaply be accessed via ATM from Thailand.

I moved my account from Scottrade to Firstrade in 2005 because of this. Firstrade lets you setup ACH to another US bank which allows you to move money in and out of the trading account. Cash can be accessed locally via an ATM card from the Bank account.

sip

Archived