Scones or Scones?

MooNoi

So is it pronounced "scone" (rhyming with "gone")

or "scone" (rhyming with stone")?

I've always said the first version, but an English guy I was talking to on the weekend said it was the second one.

In Australia we say the first version as far as I'm aware.

Does it depend where you come from in England? What about the Scots and the Welsh? What version do they use?

Is there a definitive answer?

:dunno:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scone (bread)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scones are also commonly served with jam and clotted cream (commonly known as a cream tea).The scone is a British snack of Scottish origin. A small quickbread made of wheat, barley or oatmeal, usually with baking powder as a leavening agent. British scones are often lightly sweetened, but may also be savoury. In the U.S., scones are drier and larger, and typically sweet.

The pronunciation across the United Kingdom is varied. Some sections of the population (nearly two thirds of the British population and 99% of the Scottish population, according to one academic study) pronounce it as /skÉ?n/ (to rhyme with gone, the U English Pronunciation), and the rest pronounce it /skÉ?Ê?n/ (to rhyme with cone, the Non-U English pronunciation). According to Merriam-Webster, the word scone derives perhaps from the Dutch schoonbrood (fine white bread), from schoon (pure, clean) and brood (bread). Making way to the English language via Scots itself via Flemish.

180px-Scone_varieties.jpg

Archived