Bordercrossing in Thai Car

persil

Hi,

I am intending to apply for a Thai retirement visa in a few months, and settle in Hua Hin. I'll buy a car.

I like travelling, and intend to travel to Malaysia and Laos.

If i own a Thai car as resident on ret visa, can I bring my car into Laos and Malaysia?

What extra papers would I require?

When entering Malaysia expect delays at the usual peak times and on public holidays. Note also that this border is not a 24 hour border and closes at midnight Malaysian/Singaporean Time (11pm Thailand) daily. At Bukit Kayu you can pick up copies of the immigration documents. For a modest fee, these can be filled out by petition writers if you feel you need this (I never have used this service). You can also pick up the documents at the border itself as you approach Thai Immigration.The approach to Car tourism is a historical one based on import tariffs and protection - so this makes the documentation look a little odd.

For instance you will not be driving for a holiday but rather "Temporarily Importing a Motor Vehicle for the purposes of Tourism". These days the required permit is issued automatically at the border. One of the things you do at customs is guarantee that you will re-export the car - failure to do so will mean a fine equivalent to the amount stipulated on the declaration. I am told that if you bring a foreign registered car in by plane or ship you are required to post this bond based on custom's valuation in advance. A land crossing is clearly easier.

At the Customs window, hand the documents in (your registration document and your passport) . Here the customs officer will produce for you a simplified customs declaration form. They may inspect your vehicle and will need to see it. You will then be asked to sign the bottom of this form to guarantee to export the vehicle out of Thailand.

You will end up with one form called the simplified customs declaration form it will be stamped by customs indicating that your vehicle has been inspected. You may need to show this again at the customs post at Sadao a couple of kilometres down the road. You must keep this form for the period you remain in Thailand as you will need to surrender this upon departure.

Important - if you do not intend to exit at the same border crossing you must advise Customs of the intended departure point - this will allow the authorities time to transfer the neccessary paper work to your intended exit border crossing. If travelling onto Laos - allow them a few days to get this done.The above Thai insurance is extremely basic and is meant only to keep you legal. It is recommended that you seek more comprehensive insurance when planning your trip as many insurance policys do not cover you in other countries. Unless stipulated, your comprehensive coverage typically ends in peninsular Thailand with a 50 kilometre overlap into Malaysia.

Great info.....

I was thinking of heading to Wee et nam 2 moro myself...

Think I'll now stay in West Melbourne....that "Border Crossing" at Footscray is a "Killer".....

sorry to non Oz "Boardies".... just a little shit stir....cos I'm Kia mao nit noi and it's EXACTLY 28 days till I'm where I NEED to be

Fcuk I'm a Cnut Dmub!!!!

Archived