American man falls to his death

Mekong

I wonder if anyone's bothered to check his emails, find out what he was reading at the time?

I lived on the 10th floor of that building for a brief bit - had a few good times in that apartment, but basically I think the building's got a bad vibe to it. Might have something to do with the enormous Mary or Jesus or whoever it is statue on top, you can see it from miles around -- believe all you want in Christianity, but the animists/funky Indian gods still control the real estate in Bangkok! If I recall correctly, VP had a small Christian shrine instead of a spirit house? Maybe I'm imagining that part. Anyway, I was happy to leave VP when I did - and happier still that I used the elevator and groundfloor exit to do so!

I wonder if anyone's bothered to check his emails, find out what he was reading at the time?

I lived on the 10th floor of that building for a brief bit - had a few good times in that apartment, but basically I think the building's got a bad vibe to it. Might have something to do with the enormous Mary or Jesus or whoever it is statue on top, you can see it from miles around -- believe all you want in Christianity, but the animists/funky Indian gods still control the real estate in Bangkok! If I recall correctly, VP had a small Christian shrine instead of a spirit house? Maybe I'm imagining that part. Anyway, I was happy to leave VP when I did - and happier still that I used the elevator and groundfloor exit to do so!

Funny you should mention the Indian Gods thing; I was sitting in Soi Cowboy last night at an outside table across from SHEBA, I happened to notice a small and unobtrusive sign in Hindu script next to the large Sphinx adorning the building front and was wondering about it. I think you provided the answer.

Funny you should mention the Indian Gods thing; I was sitting in Soi Cowboy last night at an outside table across from SHEBA, I happened to notice a small and unobtrusive sign in Hindu script next to the large Sphinx adorning the building front and was wondering about it. I think you provided the answer.

Hmmm... I'd be a bit more inclined to assume it is a modern-day version of the old "Arabs Not Allowed - We Do Not Wish to Tempt you From Your Faith" signs around town...

Funny you should mention the old sign (Boss Hogs Lucky Lukes), I was in MBK with Old Hippy this afternoon and noticed many signs in Arabic and we jokingly referred to the old LL sign.

Unfortunately the signs in MBK read "We can Change to Any Language"

Hmmm... I'd be a bit more inclined to assume it is a modern-day version of the old "Arabs Not Allowed - We Do Not Wish to Tempt you From Your Faith" signs around town...

Funny you should mention the old sign (Boss Hogs Lucky Lukes)' date=' I was in MBK with Old Hippy this afternoon and noticed many signs in Arabic and we jokingly referred to the old LL sign.

Unfortunately the signs in MBK read "We can Change to Any Language"

[/quote']

That particular sign you refer to was purchased from PJ by an acquaintance of mine a number of years ago. He had spent a number of years working for AT&T in Saudi and developed one of the deepest antipathies to Arabs that I have ever seen.

He lives in an up-scale apartment near Nana and put the sign on his front door and was actually quite upset when the manager asked him to remove it.

It now adorns his living room wall, above the pool table.

Probably not, but that is an excellent suggestion. If for example, words along the lines of "I think my wife is trying to kill me" or something about his wife having a Thai boyfriend (who perhaps was also a cop) were found in one those emails, some might consider this significant. But I am sure the authorities have determined this is totally unnecessary since they have already determined it was a suicide.

What can you say, but TIT.

Still, the number of Farang "suicides" by jumping off high buildings in Thailand continues to amaze me. The fact that some actually believe there are this many suicides by Farangs in Thailand is even more amazing.

Archived