Investing in fine wine

teddy

I met a chap here in Dubai today and we got on to discussing investments. He told me that he owned over US$500,000 worth of fine wine, mostly Bordeaux and mostly en primeur.

He never see's the wine, it is stored in a bonded warehouse south of London and he reckons it appreciates in price by between 25 and 30% each year.

Sounds too good to be true, anyone ever dabbled with this type of investment?

Ok I have bought Bordeaux en Primeur for the past few years for the company I work for. 2004 is just being released and is expected to be the best vintage yet; as an example, Chateau Lafite is going for around £200 per bottle, we paid about £60 for it 3 years ago. En Primeur has to be paid for in advance and its very much a gamble as to whether its going to be a good vintage when its bottled

The supply is very limited and as years go on and people consume the wine, what is left appreciates in value significanly. 2004 is expected to be the best year yet.

As to your question, I would be VERY dubious. Supply of en Primeur is limited, I am not saying this guy doesnt have the stock but it smells fishy to me and I would want to see the stock, get a professional to check it, make sure its not been uncrated (usually its sold in crates of 12 bottles) and I would also want to see the paperwork back to source. Check if its 1st growth as they are generally the most valuable, the growths run from 1st growth through to 5th growth.

Bear in mind that some en Primeur isnt going to appreciate much, however, La Clotte, Lafite, Rothschild etc are a good buy.

Not only that I would also want to speak to the Chateau owner to see whether he really did sell the stock to this agent.

If its kosha and you are happy then you will probably make a killing, but please do your homework before jumping into this sort of thing.

Thanks for the info CF, the guy operates through Bourdeaxindex. I have checked out their website and it seems very legit, have a look and see what you think, 90% of what he buys is of the status of Lafitte, Mouton, Latour and Petrus etc.

I have decided to test the water, I will do a lot of research over the weekend, I will let you know how it goes :thumbup:

Archived