Converting tapes to CD

jai-dee

I have done what you are trying to do. It has been a long time since I converted tapes but I just looked at what I know were converted from cassette and it comes up in stereo. The software that I used to capture was Total Recorder http://www.totalrecorder.com/ . I don't recall what I paid for it but I have had it for about 5 years and get free updates.

I have used several audio capture/convert/edit programs for capturing tapes and if I had to do it again I would be back on the lower end of the curve. I also used Audio Grabber for other conversion and editing functions and it is Freeware, however you must find a LAME driver for it to work. I think that I used this for MP3 conversion.

Lastly I used Cool Edit (an unfortunate name as it is more professional than the name would hint at) to cut and paste sounds.

Total Recorder will capture anything that comes through your sound card and what I did most of my work on was a Dell Laptop that I bought in 2002 so it is not exactly state-of-the-art. I also have saved radio drama across the Internet (does anyone know who Joe Frank or Ira Glass is?) and it sounds ok.

As you might be able to tell I enjoyed doing this but have not captured anything for a long time. And I am not really critical about sound with my current equipment.

Drop me a personal message with a phone number and I will try to give you some help.

I don't really need another program to capture audio - I have 2 (Nero and Audacity)

that are perfectly capable to do the job.

My problem is hardware - sound card with stereo input. I'm going to borrow one from

a colleague and see if it works better than mine.

And in Audacity, of course I switched to stereo from the mono default.

Finally a breakthrough in this saga! I discovered that my recording software wasn't even using the sound card inputs, but rather something called "Microsoft Sound Mapper" which only uses one channel. As soon as I switched to the sound card proper it came up with stereo input. So finally I am convinced that sound cards work in stereo mode.

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Archived