Converting tapes to CD

jai-dee

Converting tapes to CD

I'm trying to transfer some old audio tapes to my computer so that I can burn them to CDs.

I've done some information digging on the net and it seems rather

straightforward. Connect the stereo to the computer using a 2RCA-to-3.5mm plug

cable, play the tape and use suitable software to record the sound.

My laptop only has microphone input, so I tried that (I borrowed a PC

with a proper line-in connection but the results were identical). For

recording I tried both Audacity and Nero.

But no matter what I do, I can only get one channel. My stereo is

obviously stereo, the cable is stereo, the recording software is capable

of producing stereo sound, and the computer has stereo output. What am I missing here?

My sound card is Conexant AC-Link Audio and despite extensive searches

I couldn't find any confirmation whether it is mono or stereo.

If anyone out there has any experience with analog to digital conversion

of audio I would appreciate any ideas to help me out.

Thanks for the replies. All right, I'll accept that mic input is mono, but why doesn't it say so.

I've searched far and wide and couldn't find any reference to any audio input being mono or stereo.

Stereo has been a de facto standard in audio for at least 40 years and just about every component is

capable of handling 2 channels. Why would a computer input not be stereo by default then?

The sound card on a PC that I tried is Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM). Again, I can't

find any specs, but it definitely had signal on one channel only.

I came across some analog/USB converter somewhere on the web, when I inquired at the

local electronics shop they told me they'd never heard of such a thing. Frustrating.....

:banghead:

WEll,

the reason why the computers mic input is only mono is clear. It's meant for simple microphones, headsets, to put speech into the machine. and these damn things are mono.

Most computers have three (or more) audio jacks. Line out, line in and microphone. Line in is stereo and this is where you may plug devices like tape recorders. Too bad your laptop doesn't have line in.

There are USB soundcards available. These should have the three inputs and should do the trick.

And there are some devices out that may be called analog converters. Be careful, these most likely are special devices to handle signals from turntables. To get the vynil disks on computer. Can't be used for tape, cd players, radio etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, still not clear which computer you are actually using for recording. Your notebook doesn't have line-in, only mic in you said. Mic-in won't do stereo so forget about this. You still have a computer with line-in? Should definitely work.

Have a look at these two 3.5mm plugs. Then have a look at the plug you're using. Is it stereo or mono?

Archived