Uncurious Thailand

Gadfly

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sit in front of the ranch here and often read in the morning.

The Thai neighbors look at me like, WTF is he doing...like reading is a complete mystery to them.

I have the same experience here in Bangkok. IMHO, many Thais, even in Bangkok. seem to think reading is antisocial.

A few years back I had Thai girlfriend who was convinced that reading and thinking "too much" gave people headaches. And she had a BA from Chula.

For me it is interesting that one farmer, admittedly Wat schooled, has learnt to use the PC's at our Sat-Ed Learning Cafe, and reads every day a few different online Thai newspapers.

For teh first time in his life, he gets to "read" news in depth, rather than the 15 - 30 second sound bite on TV and radio.

However non of his friends have learnt, but he has become something of a "Town Crier" maybe I should make that "Town E-Crier"

CTO

No doubt they are, that's what I meant by Wat schooled, that's something 30 years ago only the lucky got, male of course.

He can read Thai and Laos very well interestingly.

And hence, how or why do you even as a government try and get farmers to learn new ways to use PC's?

Archived