Stripper Infected with TB

Steve

PHILIPSBURG, St. Maarten - Dozens of people in St. Maarten are being treated for latent tuberculosis after health officials warned that they may have been exposed to the illness by a stripper infected with an active form of the disease.

At least 40 people tested positive after the health department treated an exotic dancer from the Dominican Republic several months ago and sent her home, according to a government news release issued Friday.

Health officials struggled to identify those exposed, launching a public campaign to urge anyone who had contact with the woman to seek treatment. They now believe they have identified everyone infected.

Tuberculosis is caused by airborne bacteria that attack the lungs and can be fatal. People with latent tuberculosis do not feel sick and present no symptoms, but are at risk of contracting the full disease, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

to get back to the original post...

How hard is it to catch TB ,

and are there shots to get to keep you from getting infected ?

I often wonder what diseases are floating around the airplane when I am flying back from Europe and the plane is filled with sickly looking people from Russia and beyond....

OC

I think it lasts for life, not 100% sure though. Did you ever get any side effects with the stuff they gave you in the army?

I remember when my wife was in the first gulf war, she was a captain in the medical core, and she told me the stuff that she had to inject the soldiers with was dubious to say the least.

She reckons that most of the medics didn't take the pills and injections because they knew there would be repercushions later on. Hence Gulf War Syndrome I reckon.

Archived