Controversial Scientist Retires

Steve

To me, if I had a horrible disease and the only guy with a cure was a lousy racist bigot etc, I could give a rats ass as long as I got the cure...

Okay if he's an alcoholic too? :drunk: If so, I can recommend Dr. Stanley "The Man" Bradleigh MD or Dr. Tajinder "Ginger" Singh MD, both of the Ear, Nose and Throat dept. of West Central Infirmary, Burslem. Blank prescriptions (set of 12 sheets) for 50 pounds sterling, valium "jellies" at 20 quid for 4 tabs, 24 hour callback cellphone service, house deliveries, etc. :up:

jack :help:

There should always be social consequences for things like that. NOT governmental consequences as that impedes freedom of speech. However, I fully support social shunning of anyone who is hateful and says hateful/racist, etc. speech be they a nazi supporter, klansman or nation of islam member. A person has to live with the social consequences of their actions. However, as you say, if the person is performing another act that is beneficial to society then that has to be weighed as well. People have the right to support financially his organization obviously. If his words or actions preclude people (rightly or wrongly) from donating as much then that organization has to make a decision if he is doing more harm than good by keeping him around. I can only assume that was the reason for his having to leave.

Philosophical and ethical question. What if a guy was on the verge of finding a cure for AIDS, Cancer, and a host of diseases but it was found out he was a pedophile that molested boys? Do you vote for him to go to jail now and the cure for those diseases lost in his brain? Or wait till after he finds a cure with the prospect of him committing another act within that time?

I recall reading one time in a Tom Wolf book, that is has been possible for years to simply hook up some sensors to a person and be able to very acurately acertain their individual IQ. But the outcry from various groups prevent this method from being used. Appearently it doesnt matter what culture or economic or racial group one is from, this test will access each person individualy. The fear is that if one particular race or group tests lower overall then it will lead to systematic pigionholing. Thus we are stuck with basicly inaccurate acessment tools that prevent people from being able to reach their fullest potiental. It makes no sense to try and frustrate individuals with goals and programs that dont fit their individual capabilities. One size does not fit all. I personaly have mixed feelings. If I turn out to be smarter that I thought I would feel like a lazy ass. If I where dumber than I thought I would feel like a faker. Alas I guess there are some things we dont want to know.

The old IQ debate. Its over valued in society I think. I recall an article years ago that the IQ of some famous folks in a variety of positions (entertainment, government, etc.) had a wide range of IQs and you'd be surprised at how low some were. Its not a significant predictor of success and is important sometimes to those who wish to feel superior over others. Judging from who got the highest grades in my math courses at college, I'd have to have to put Asians at the top of the list probably as those with the highest IQs. :thumbup:

It doesn't take great intelligence to be a good, kind hearted, respectful human being and isn't that the more important thing in a person? Lets (speaking to society as a whole) not confuse intelligence with moral and ethics or place a higher value on it than its worth.

Archived