Controversial Scientist Retires

Steve

James Watson , famous for DNA research but widely condemned for recent comments about intelligence levels among blacks, retired Thursday from his post at a prestigious research institution.

This is the guy that made a racist comment. I wasn't happy with it obviously..lol...it was insulting but he did apologize for it. I would not have wanted him to retire. He can rectify things and do good for society by staying on the job. The guy had over 40 years of experience. He may find the cure for cancer or aids.

politically correct world we live in....

Dumb for him to say it , but a pity he was pushed out ( which he probably was )

But any research place cannot take the flake from having him as an employee,

Its a pity you cannot say what you want anymore ,

with out the PC police busting you....

OC

In college I hated seeing too many African (and Asian) students in class. They had the best grades and I knew a 98 on a test would still give me a D with the curve...lol...even though I didn't see too many 98s. I was an athlete and in a frat. Couldn't waste my time studying. :)

>He's certainly commited career suicide with his statement.

Sigh. Sad. I've met him, so followed the story a bit. As far as I can see, he made an incautious statement that was widely and roundly mis-interpreted. What he *actually* said (off memory) was that evidence suggests that "black intelligence is *different*" - which was imediately turned into "Black intelligence is *lower*".

Either way, silly thing for him to say, and perhaps best to retire. Shame, as his contributions were significant and a life time of work tarnished for one misquoted statement...

-j-

The whole mess raises a question...what if he was really good at the job? Should he still have been forced to retire? Apparently, as you say/indicate, he was good at the job, and may have actually had more positive things to give...but political correctness killed him.

There was some debate years back as to what should become of medical research the Nazis did, some of it might have actually been beneficial to current projects. The controversy being that some of the research had been done on live humans.

One school said under no circumstances should the research be used, another said people died, if their deaths can now benefit others...so be it, and use the research.

To me, if I had a horrible disease and the only guy with a cure was a lousy racist bigot etc, I could give a rats ass as long as I got the cure. My own opinion, religion and political correctness have no place in medicine/science.

Archived