The day it snowed in Thailand

Fidel

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
North and West are mountainous, alternating with plains along narrow valleys. Several rise to over 1,500 meters, the highest mountain in Thailand is Doi Inthanon (2,565 m. or 8,417 ft.) on the Thanon Thongchai range in the province of Chiang Mai.

[/u]http://www.21cep.com/thai/tgeo.htm

Would that be high enough that far inland to get occasional freezing temperatures?

<< Would that be high enough that far inland to get occasional freezing temperatures? >>

It sometimes gets below freezing in the northern mountains in January and December. The thing to remember is that the average rural Thai home has no glass in the windows, just shutters to close. Whatever temperature it is outside, it also is inside!

<< Would that be high enough that far inland to get occasional freezing temperatures? >>

It sometimes gets below freezing in the northern mountains in January and December. The thing to remember is that the average rural Thai home has no glass in the windows, just shutters to close. Whatever temperature it is outside, it also is inside!

At Nakhon Phanom in 74-75, a lot of us with Uncle Sam's tour group had electric blankets for much the same reason. Think the night time lows for a few weeks may have been in the 50s fahrenheit (12 degrees C--more or less).

Herro, GI. Hey you, one baht!

:beer:

I found out how cold SE Asia can get on my first night on perimeter guard in the Central Highlands of RVN in Feb 69. I just took my flak jacket, steel pot, weapon and ammunition. Then I noticed the other guys had blankets. I was damn near shivering at midnight! The temperature can drop unbelievably in SE Asia after dark.

My first trip to Chiang Mai was in Oct 73. It was hot when I got on the train, but in the middle of the night I was shivering once again. And of course all the Thais had sweaters or blankets.

Duh ... I forgot. :(

p.s. Winter in northern Thailand is delightful - at least to us. The Thais hate it. You'll see them bundled up as if they were in Antarctica.

Archived