TOUCHDOWN!!!!

dahmer

I think I must be in a minority of 1 on this board' date=' because I generally cannot criticise Dahmer for his actions.

He is a tourist who is visitng LoS for a short break, to relax and enjoy himself. Tourists pay above the odds throughout the world. They pay more because they are prey for local scams/ripoffs, and they pay more because they are actually happy to pay more and tip where perhaps a local or expact would not tip.

That's life. You cannot change it. So don't waste time worrying about it.

Incidentially, I don't think Dahmer's actions make it any worst for us expats - provided that you have taken the time to learn Thai and have made an attempt to integrate into the community. If I go to a Thai massage shop, they charge tourists one price, and expect big tips. If an expat who speaks Thai/is jai dee comes in, then they charge a lower price and expect a smaller tip or no tip at all. If an expat comes in who speaks no Thai/is a dickhead, then they quote the tourist price to them.

Simon[/quote']

Thanks!

I am on Holiday. that is what people do on holiday. They spend money and have fun. I am not living there. OK, i can see the point of the people who actually live there.Example: if you lived in my town and told me you went to my favorite eateries and over tipped. i may say you are stupid. But if you told me you came from a different country to visit my town on Holiday, and overtipped since the service was good, then that is great. if you had a good time, great! I could have sworn that is why we go to LOS, for a good time. Also i do not do my tippig in a flashy way??? Who said that?? It is not like I said to my tour guide in earshot of alot of people "HERE! I AM TIPPING YOU 500BT, ENJOY MY MONEY, I AM A BIGSHOT!!!!!!" I simplysaid thank you and slipped a twice folded over 500bt note into here hand. i asssure you, i never tip in a flashy way. in the states I tip everyone. and YES, it helps get you extras. Beleive it or not.

I did follow the advice of the people who said give the maid a tip. i did at both places. 100bt each. And they gave me extra towels, showercaps, soaps, shampoos on everyday!!! Well worth a measly 3 bucks if you ask me. When i asked for average prices for things, it was a juts for a guide for me. So i knew when someone was deliberately ripping me off. if I get charged properly for something and i decided to over tip them that is mine perogative. Why all the hate??? it is NOT you money? It is not you getting the service?? You guys take it personal like it i am the reason the LOS is going up in price every year. Well, deal with it. It is going up with me or without me. I have nothing to do with it. I am just expressing my trip experience here. not being a troll, not trying to stir anything up. i do not know any of you guys, why would I care???

Havent read the whole thread, but heartfelt reply Dahmer, and your right it is your prerogative to tip what you like because it is your money.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I must be in a minority of 1 on this board' date=' because I generally cannot criticise Dahmer for his actions.

He is a tourist who is visitng LoS for a short break, to relax and enjoy himself. Tourists pay above the odds throughout the world. They pay more because they are prey for local scams/ripoffs, and they pay more because they are actually happy to pay more and tip where perhaps a local or expact would not tip.

That's life. You cannot change it. So don't waste time worrying about it.

Incidentially, I don't think Dahmer's actions make it any worst for us expats - provided that you have taken the time to learn Thai and have made an attempt to integrate into the community. If I go to a Thai massage shop, they charge tourists one price, and expect big tips. If an expat who speaks Thai/is jai dee comes in, then they charge a lower price and expect a smaller tip or no tip at all. If an expat comes in who speaks no Thai/is a dickhead, then they quote the tourist price to them.

Simon[/quote']

Thanks!

I am on Holiday. that is what people do on holiday. They spend money and have fun. I am not living there. OK, i can see the point of the people who actually live there.Example: if you lived in my town and told me you went to my favorite eateries and over tipped. i may say you are stupid. But if you told me you came from a different country to visit my town on Holiday, and overtipped since the service was good, then that is great. if you had a good time, great! I could have sworn that is why we go to LOS, for a good time. Also i do not do my tippig in a flashy way??? Who said that?? It is not like I said to my tour guide in earshot of alot of people "HERE! I AM TIPPING YOU 500BT, ENJOY MY MONEY, I AM A BIGSHOT!!!!!!" I simplysaid thank you and slipped a twice folded over 500bt note into here hand. i asssure you, i never tip in a flashy way. in the states I tip everyone. and YES, it helps get you extras. Beleive it or not.

I did follow the advice of the people who said give the maid a tip. i did at both places. 100bt each. And they gave me extra towels, showercaps, soaps, shampoos on everyday!!! Well worth a measly 3 bucks if you ask me. When i asked for average prices for things, it was a juts for a guide for me. So i knew when someone was deliberately ripping me off. if I get charged properly for something and i decided to over tip them that is mine perogative. Why all the hate??? it is NOT you money? It is not you getting the service?? You guys take it personal like it i am the reason the LOS is going up in price every year. Well, deal with it. It is going up with me or without me. I have nothing to do with it. I am just expressing my trip experience here. not being a troll, not trying to stir anything up. i do not know any of you guys, why would I care???

Havent read the whole thread, but heartfelt reply Dahmer, and your right it is your prerogative to tip what you like because it is your money.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

But I was just trying to talk about my trip experience, when all hell broke loose on what a POS I must be for tipping.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

But I was just trying to talk about my trip experience, when all hell broke loose on what a POS I must be for tipping.

For over-tipping too much.

If you had to deal with foreign people every day tipping so much that the prices of everything shot out of your range, maybe you'd be a little more sensitive to how much you effect other peoples economies. You might not change it all by yourself, but you contribute to it regardless.

Archived