TOUCHDOWN!!!!

dahmer

MooNoi, your absolutely right but I fear your wasting your breath. The OP is either a troll? :troll: having a great laugh winding us all up. Or one of the growing number of internet tourists who have help fuck up Bangkok and other parts of Thailand over the last 5 or 6 years and has made his mind up that we are all a bunch of cheap charlies and he knows best going about throwing his money around like confetti thinking he's clever when most people, Thai and farang think hes a twit?! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MooNoi, your absolutely right but I fear your wasting your breath. The OP is either a troll? :troll: having a great laugh winding us all up. Or one of the growing number of internet tourists who have help fuck up Bangkok and other parts of Thailand over the last 5 or 6 years and has made his mind up that we are all a bunch of cheap charlies and he knows best going about throwing his money around like confetti thinking he's clever when most people, Thai and farang think hes a twit?! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I found the public taxis were demanding 400b a few weeks ago.. The bloke I was sharing with insisted on a meter, so we were directed to a different car to the one they were going to give us.

Got to soi 4(Woraburi) and it cost about 400 anyway with all the tolls etc..

No, I tipped 20-30% in Paris. just like I do in the states.

perhaps you should have checked: paris is NOT part of the states. neither, for that matter, is bangkok. so maybe you, as the visitor, should learn a thing or two about local customs before boarding a plane. europeans, for example, are all cheap charlies and generally do not tip 20-30%. as parisians would have regarded you, not unreasonably perhaps, as just another arrogant yank anyways, overtipping there doesn't really matter: you would've been laughed at no matter what.

Sorry I never heard of these crazy rims you keep mentioning. And why you keep mentioning them is beyond me. i stated what I seen with my own eyes. So that is funny to you???

hey, it's not often you "meet" another rim afficionado. i appreciate a nice rim nearly as much as a quality rimming and actually was fishing for your recommendation. i'm looking for a new set of rims and think that the titanium Bimbella is a bit too flashy for my Wartburg. So i've whittled my shortlist down to the plain (not the deluxe) Konigsmeister and the (vastly improved) Sienna Dorada (Mark II). which one would you pick?

but, as you've only just started your adventures here, bonne chance (that's french) and do keep us posted!

Guest lazyphil

<>

hmmmmm, does this apply to farangs entering a theme park, wat, croc farm etc etc etc....of course some elite farangs avoid double charges with a crafty nod and a wink but by and large we do (rightly or wrongly) pay twice as much as thais if not more for numerous things so i really cant see how they can be indignent if some one CHOOSES to pay a big tip, personally i seldom tip but come on all this lecturing you guys are giving this guy is laughable!!

What's yer point Phil (as if you ever have one)? I get discounted rates on all sorts of things in Las Vegas cuz I have a local ID. Used to get the same thing when I lived in Miami. And Sillypore. And HK. Many places around the world are like that.

Lecturing? The OP asked, then he doesn't want to hear the answer. That shit ticks me off (ex-wife used to do the same bloody thing). Just don't fuckin' bother asking if you do not want to hear the answer or have your plan already in your head. It wastes everyone's time and patience.

Cheers,

SD

"...The OP is either a troll? having a great laugh winding us all up. Or one of the growing number of internet tourists who have help fuck up Bangkok and other parts of Thailand over the last 5 or 6 years..."

My thoughts exactly.

Which one? The latter? Ya, there are a lot of cases of "more money than brains" that I am seeing this trip to the States. We were just last night discussing amongst a group of car-loving friends about a guy who bought an old Mustang for $10k, took it to a shop where he was quoted $50k to restore it. It is nothing special rarity or options-wise and worth *maybe* $30k at most in pristine shape. My friend offered him $15k for it as is. But the guy decided to go ahead and spend the $50k on it, making it a $60k outlay for a $30k vehicle. :dunno::doah:

Several similar stories were bandied about last night. I don't get it.

Cheers,

SD

Guest lazyphil

<>

ouch!...ok, point is farangs are outsiders and do weird stuff in los, some good some not so, thais are aware farangs might not get systems (yes includes me but i have always tried not to be offensive in los...I HAVE NOT GOT IT ALL FIGURED OUT lol!!) of the culture.....now, as long as folks dont go around being assholes, like showing disrespect to the monarch and buddha and act up, get angry at staff here and there, snog girls in shopping malls wearing singlets etc etc i cant see the big deal over tipping apart from the fact it screws things up for other farangs messing up expectations thais have of farangs but thats a different story....thats my convoluted point :D

Guest lazyphil

<>

but most 'noobs' off the plane dont have that pass in los so are subject to two level pricing so how can they be so wrong paying a big tip if we/him are routinely double sometimes treble charged, ......that is not as moonoi said 'You pay/tip based on the local economy, local wages and local customs'.....if a highly educated/bred institution such as the grand palace can think nothing of creaming a extra wad of dosh of the faranges then a lower class waitress isn't going to throw a paddy if she gets a huge tip, might think the tourist is dumb but not out of line, i honestly cant see much difference except one big payout is voluntary, of course nobody has a gun to your head to visit the grand palace but get my point???

Archived