XP to Vista

pe7e

Quite Easy,

1.) The locations are:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Favorites

Vista: C:\Users\your username\Favorites

2.) The are saved as Internet Shortcuts with a hidden .url extension, but it's easier to browse to the above locations than search for them.

3.) Just copy-and-paste the files from XP's folder to Vista's folder. IE will automatically 'see' them and display them in the internet list.

Another alternative is to go File->Import and Export from with IE, which lets you get your favorites, cookies, and feeds. In that case they would be grouped together in a single file for importing/exporting.

If transferring to a new machine you EXPORT to a File, transfer file on a Thumb Drive of SD card then IMPORT onto new machine.

Outlook Express to Windows Mail, it basically the same thing Export/Import procedure.

In drop down menu of Outlook Express follow the "Export" instruction and save to disk (floppy or CD) Then "Import" the file into Windows Mail / Contacts.

Also This Link may assist.

If you are using Firefox or Opera browsers import bookamrks from them into IE before writing export , then you can easily IMPORT on new OS, Copy n Paste is still an option but this method is probably easier for "Average Users"

Last weekend I got a new laptop running vista and went through this exercise to transfer all my bookmarks over, well not quite I read across my home network to speed up the exercise but import / export will do the job!

I recently did it after screwing with my partitions to the point that XP wouldn't boot.

Had to back up my data - Vista upgrade only runs from within XP so I had to do a clean install.

Works like a dream now. Like having a new PC.

Had to locate where all my bookmarks were stored for my various browsers, but now they are all copied, everything works fine.

Not sure I'd upgrade over the top of XP though. ..

Archived