Krabi, Phi Phi or Lanta? A non-backpacker chum wants to know...

mattwasp

Hello..

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong board!

A work colleague is going to thailand to meet up with his Singaporean girlfriend in January and they're going to spend a couple of weeks around Krabi/Phi Phi or Lanta.. They are both young non-backpackers in search of a couple of weeks of quiet seaside relaxation.

I'm not really a beach-goer and favour the bustle of Sukhumvit myself so I don't really know which to recommend, though I imagine Phi Phi is the most crowded of the three (with 'Beach' seekers)

In your opinion, which is the best resort for them?

Not really sure of his budget at the moment.. I'll find out. I'm really just interested in the general ambiance. :)

Good info though, thanks - makes sense. :) I'm sure they'll make their own entertainment regardless of environment ;)

...His first experience of an asian girlfriend and I think he already has the bamboo curse.. (his is different though) ;)

With 2 weeks to spend they could divide the time between all three.

Three nights in Phi Phi is plenty and they really should see it if they are in the area. I like staying in Krabi town and would recommend Railey over Ao Nang for a night or two as well.

They could catch a ferry to Lanta from Krabi and spend time exploring the island and some different beaches easily on a rented bike. I'm less fond of Lanta now that it has been completely over-run with young Scandinavian families... it seems that their travel agents have cornered the market to the exclusion of everyone else... :(

A better option would be to check out the road further south away from Saladan and the pier to find some of the less-crowded beaches. Old Lanta town is a pleasant destination for a trip across the island, and nearby is a sea gypsy village.

Krabi is a good place to explore the South Andaman from. Phi Phi is done in a couple of days but I have not been back since the tsunami so I don't know the current lie of the land.

Koh Lanta is getting more and more developed but it can be a dirty island with red dust roads which stain everything ! The beaches in the north are getting more crowded with development and prices are rising.

Going south from Koh Lanta you start to run out of ferries (you can get them from Lanta) but the more remote islands are reachable only by longtail boats.

I first went down there about 15 years ago and it has changed drastically. I would advise your friends to get down off the beaten trail and get out somewhere remote before it is all screwed up or overpriced.

Archived