Government vision of Thai nightlife

quote:

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

funny, as soon as some thai woman who can express herself in english comes up some of you get all defensive, question her being thai (because thais don't know english well enough, oh yeah...), or are even outright rude without her haven given you any reason.

well, well, well...

i wonder if yo acquired these manners by spending too much time in the bars or actually grew up in them...

Fly, I couldn't have said better than you did! THANKS smile.gif" border="0

Yeah, sometime I think it's insulting that a lot of people question your language ability - a reverse discrimination. You don't understand until you expreience it yourself. I once had a lecturer asked me in the middle of his lecture in front of the class, "Why your English is so good?" !!! The class was all international students whose English was a lot better than mine. I guess he never expected to have a Thai speacking fairly good English in his class. I was stunned and embarrased. All I could think of was "I went to a very good school".

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Good Thai Girl:

One of my friends got asked "How much?" So it's hard for me to change her mind obviously.
smile.gif" border="0

GTD, unfortunately there are some real disgusting assholes out there. I was walking between the Sukhumvit stalls towards soi 3 when one of the most ugly farangs stopped a girl in front of me. I could not get through due to the number of people around. The ugly guy asked "how much?" With the typical Thai smile she pointed her arm towards the crosslight of soi 3 in direction of NEP. That answer did not suffice to the ugly and he insisted in some way I could not understand. Her smile faded and she repeated her gesture and managed to pass the guy.

I was asthonished and surprised. I still regret not to have punched the guy's nose. Unfortunately, we also have some forms of low life running around Thailand. Those people make me ashamed.

"Why doesn't she tell us then? Nevermind, I'm tired of debating this really. I actually gave her the invitation to call me and she sent me a message back stating that she was concerned that I would then know her number if she called my mobile!? Well, she does have the option (if she could be bothered) to call from a booth.. Anyway, I then gave her my land-line number and have since not heard back. I'd be quite happy to verify this for us all.. . In all actuality I would more than openly welcome a Thai female perspective on this board. But not one that proclaims to be Thai (and/or female for that matter). We'll see how long she lasts. It can't be that much sanook to play such a prank for too long. Yawwwnnnn blush.gif" border="0 "

I did call you, Dan, MANY times using your land phone number. I think you were using this line to connect to the internet? Tell me what time is the most convenient for me to call you. Not to late because I'm gonna use public phone and it's scary to go out late at night. I hope you understand.

"But just for the record. The give away is some obvious intentional mistakes in the grammar and spelling (mistakes that an intermediate student wouldn't make!). But this is then coupled with some complex grammar patterns such as perfect-conditional tenses and past-perfect tenses that only a very advanced student would be capable of producing. On top of this there is a lot of slang and colloquial language that only a native speaker could use in such a fashion.

To me it all reeks of bullshit. And yes, by the way, I teach English if that is any consolation. I'm exposed to the written and spoken skills of Thais on a daily basis. Perhaps there are more ESL teachers out there that can verify what I'm saying. I do know some students who have been doing degrees at ABAC university (English curriculum) and whilst you will meet some with a good spoken command of English, this rarely crosses over into their writing.. Writing English in itself is quite complex and sure, whilst there are many who do 'master' it as Snake Head states, these are few and far between and would in some way be scholars of English.

I would love to be proven wrong. Call me Good Thai Girl and perhaps we can have a nice chat and I can then certify your credibility for the board wink.gif" border="0"

Umm...I didn't say that I'm still a student. Ok, I got my first degree in Thailand and went to farangland to study for a Masters degree for a couble of years. So my English is not like that of an undergrad at ABAC wink.gif" border="0. Moreover, I use English a lot in my work so it helps improving my English skills. If I have time I'll post a thread telling how I can maintain and improve my English skills while I'm here in Bangkok. Nothing surpring though laugh.gif" border="0

Hello guys,

I'd like to agree with Snake Head. It is absolutley possible that a thai person can manage english as GTG does.

For myself I studied english just for 3 month (I bet you realize it) and I truly belive it's possible to achieve a fairly high level in english skills by e.g. living for 1 year in england (I think GTG mentioned somethin like that).

However, this doen't proof that GTG is really a thai lady. But who cares. At least she is keeping us all interested.

null

null

I do not know if Good Thai Girl is real or not, but I will say her English is extraordinarily good. I have worked in Thailand for eight years, primarily in the finance area, and I have met many Thais with advanced degrees from English language countries, but I have have not encountered very many with written English language skills as strong as Good Thai Girl. If she is who she claims to be, she is in the top 1%.

In fact, Good Thai Girl, if I had encountered you anywhere else other than this board, I would be inviting you to send me your resume because we simply cannot find Thais with such strong English skills (with the hope that your analytical skills are equally strong.)

Incidentally, in my experience, the Thais with the strongest English skills are not those who obtained graduate degrees overseas, but those who obtained their undergraduate degrees (e.g., BA, BS, etc.) in English speaking countries at good universities such as Stanford, Yale, Berkeley, University of Chicago, etc. Undergraduate programs at those types of universities not only have difficult entrance standards and are extremely demanding, but they also less forgiving of poor English skills than the vast majority of graduate schools. We have a very hard time finding qualified Thais with degrees from serious universities willing to return and work in Thailand. I think I know why, but addressing that issue would require an even longer digression.

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: Gadfly ]

quote:

Originally posted by Good Thai Girl:

But I'm sure I can talk to my friends not to assume that every farang is a sex tourist, though 99% of single male visitors are !! Some of them might not have "sex" as their first priority (business travellors,etc)but if they have a night out they will do it for sure.

99% .. make that 50% or back it up with facts

anyways i'm glad to see that there are "good" thai girls who seem to be interested in us sanukers. laugh.gif" border="0

by the way when i have a night out 90% of the times i'm not out in the scene to have sex but drinking a beer and watch a few nudies, or do you count that as sex laugh.gif" border="0

Archived