Government vision of Thai nightlife

It seems there are 3 changes to date the government is trying to get through:

-bedtime is 2am

-no shirts=no service

-workers should be 20+, not 18+

There are rumors of more stuff coming. I would like to know if there is a grand plan of the way they want it or is someone just thinking up things as they go along. All I have heard from the powers that be is "we're just enforcing existing laws", but this seems just a rationalization for someone's agenda. Surely there's a law about not clogging the side walks with vendors and the like, but no one is enforcing that unfortunately.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't mean to change the subject but I very

much like the way that sidewalks are cramed with vendors. If I want broad clear streets theres lots of western cities i can visit.

Yeah, I understand that. I guess I have a love/hate relationship with it. Sometimes squeezing through all the time can get annoying; give someone an inch and they take two. I had a BG who seemed to think walking was a contact sport. She would consistently lunge into the path of oncoming walkers. I just got behind her and enjoyed. It humored me, especially when I faintly heard an elderly farang say to his wife "see, I told you it happens every time...". But the sidewalks are a colorful part of the country for sure.

I suspect I am in the minority, but I like the government's policies. At 1:30 a.m., I would rather head off to the hotel than continue drinking and ogling. This means I can have some fun and still get to sleep at a reasonable hour. This in turns means that I will get up in the morning rather than the afternoon - and there is a lot to see and do in Thailand in the daytime. (And I need to take home some daytime activity photos to show the people back home what I did on vacation.)

You can always always leave the bar early with your companion for the evening, of course. But in the past, the girls were programmed to stay up all night. Now, our clocks are on roughly the same schedule.

I think that will change once the official entertainment areas get well established with late closings. I do think that NANA will become a shell of its former glorious self as the better looking ladies move across town. Too bad, as the Sukemvit area is well established with lots of medium priced hotels, restaurants and night spots.

So, guess its a million to three.

I do worry that the government will go overboard. Early closings is one thing - there will soon be designated late night venues. But a policy to totally eliminate the farang scene would be a mis-guided tragedy.

Don't think it will happen as the Thais have a long history of their own sex scene and I doubt that the government will completely regulate the farang scene out of existence.

However, I do think that those on this board who argue that they provide much needed foreign exchange are misguided. Thailand is a wonderful country for anyone to visit. But, it has an international reputation for having numerous prostitutes, which must keep some would-be tourists away (i.e. the wife vetoes the trip). I'll wager that the average middle class tourist spends a lot more per day than the average sanuker. And, I will also wager that its winds up in the hands of a comparative fewer number of people who control the major hotels and tour companies and have disproportionate money, power, and political influence.

With 9 million tourists a year and capacity for more, the government is certainly acting rationally to clean up the farang scene in the hopes that more middle class couples will grace Thailand's shores.

I think there is plenty of room for all. The key will be to tuck the farang scene into compact areas that will not offend most middle class tourists because they will not come into contact with it. This, I think, is where the government is headed.

Archived