Pet Peeves about bangkok

buddha

2am closing times.

No pavements (sidewalks) and when there are pavements they are 10ft high.

Nana Disco putting its prices up to 20,000 baht for entry.

Indian suit sellers (No I don't want to buy a suit at 1.30am!)

The list is endless, but hell, I would still mvoe there tomorrow if I could :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, just remembered another one.

Girls pausing to do the 'dry the knob' routine every minute while giving a bj. I don't know how or why this started but only Thai girls seem to do it. :thumbdown:

I'm trying to get used to that one though and mainly succeeding.

Thai lack of awareness of others while walking is by far the worst. 5 or 6 times every fucking day I'm trying to get past some dozy slow walker meandering on the pavement, completely obvlivious to my rapidly approaching presence. They just don't even think about the possibility that someone else may be around. :banghead:

Basically two: first, traffic, meaning particularly motorcycle traffic on foot paths (something I don't think you will find in Dallas) and risking your life everytime you cross a street (rather than traffic jams, which are tolerable (sort of)); and second, pollution, although, to be fair, it has improved tremendously over the last ten years.

Oh, and rampant corruption, but that is a bit more complicated. On a related subject, local politics, which are either an annoyance or a source of amusement depending upon your state of mind and level of intoxication.

Basically two: first, traffic, meaning particularly motorcycle traffic on foot paths (something I don't think you will find in Dallas) and risking your life everytime you cross a street (rather than traffic jams, which are tolerable (sort of))

I was thinking of you as I navigated Saigon last week. :) You would hate it. Compared to Saigon, Bangkok's a picnic for motorcycle traffic. Firstly, almost all the traffic is motorcycles or scooters rather than cars. Secondly, there are few pedestrians. Thirdly, the Vietnamese are even worse than the Thais for neglecting to stop at traffic lights (I think I never saw 100% stopping). Lastly, especially at rush hours, they are all over the pavements without shame, swarming all around you as you walk. And, to top it all, they beep their horns every 10 seconds.

Oh, you'd love it. :)

Thai's, 'running' somewhere. Mainly Thai chicks.... running to/from the bus/MRT/BTS etc etc. Winds the heck outa me and sounds like a world war bomber is aproaching behind you. Im not sure what it is with Thais; they are usualy so elegent in much of what they do, but when the Thai chicks run, they look like complete numptys and make a huge noise. Arms and legs in wild motions, flip flops clattering on the ground.... they look like oylimpic octopusses with grenades going off every step.

Bangkok Monks. Cant they cheer up just a little? They have all of these little perks of the job yet they all look so misserable. Ever seen one in a post office or bank? They get warmly invited to the front of the line yet they slowly dilly dally up to the counter with a face like thunder.

Thais entering the BTS in front of you. The seats may be full guys, but the carraige has full standing room top to bottom.... so why do you all enter the carraige and stop suddenly by the door, even though you know i am right behind you?

Newbie tourist conversations in lower suk bars. Always the same;

'Realy? You have been here that long?'

'Are you like, a teacher or something?'

'I guess you dont need much money to live out here'

'Do you have a Thai GF? Yeh? Did you like, meet her in a bar?'

For the tailors, have a bit of fun. Carry a small folded piece of paper and press it in their hand.Can be blank or have ANYTHING written on it, doesn't matter. Confuses the shit out of them. Or,hold a roughly crumpled piece of paper towards the inside of your hand. When you shake hands with them, they feel the pointy little edges and jerk their hand away so fast you'd think their arm was going to fly off. A palm moistened with anything gets the same reaction

They will usually remember you after that and not bother you again.

I lived in Pattaya for a couple of years and would always get molested by the same friggin' tailors. One day, a button fell off my shirt and I walked into a shop and asked how much to repair it. "Cannot"! WTF- and yet you want to make a suit for me? PS: I understand that all of their work is outsourced.

Archived