Pet Peeves about bangkok

buddha

I just read through mr. joe king's post about pet peeves about falangs. Great post joe. I thought I would start a thread about pet peeves about bangkok. Now that I am back in the states there is one thing I do not miss at all:

NOISE POLLUTION

Bangkok has got to be the noisiest place on earth. Much of this noise is not required at all.

I remember standing on a small side soi one night. I was on the cell phone trying to get directions to somewhere and I was conciously trying to be quiet so as not to disturb anyone. Along came the 'grilled/dryed squid bicycle'. He knew I wasn't interested but just had to hit the horn several times to get my attention.

NYC is quiet in all the good ways and the bad ones. Alas....normalacy....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bangkok has got to be the noisiest place on earth.

:rotl::rotl::rotl:

obviously, you never been to hanoi, saigon, anywhere in india, pakistan, or bangladesh...or cairo, lagos, rome even...

i have an even more pathetic pet peeve: all the "kap"-ing and "kah"-ing all day! every day! add up all the seconds wasted saying kap/kah...

-Noise - traffic, horns, blaring speakers from trucks touting Tesco/Big-C, movies, sales, etc.

-Lousy air quality

-Crowed sidewalks, poor sidewalk maintenance

-Pushy Thai's - when boarding a bus, subway, elevator or entering any door

-touts everywhere that farangs congregate

Oh...and it peeves me that BKK is so far away from where I reside in Pattaya. I hate the long drive on the usually congested tollway.

HOWEVER...it worth it getting to BKK and its' numerous music clubs, museums, variety of shops, parks, restaurants, etc!! :thumbup:

Oh...and it peeves me that BKK is so far away from where I reside in Pattaya. I hate the long drive on the usually congested tollway.

Rookie, You want to try driving it every week then, I leave BKK 6 AM every Monday and travel back from ESB on a Friday afternoon.

I must admit I do prefer BKK to Pattaya due to the reasons you pointed out, when I first moved to Thailand in 91 I was working down in Rayong and living in Pattaya on Soi Bongkot just off Second road but by 99 I had enough and relocated to BKK, Sods law that 2 1/2 years ago I was offered a job based in Sri Racha and have been "2 Homes" ever since.

For out and out whoremongering Pattaya wins hands down, but if you want more out of your vacation or in my case a married expat who has retired from the bar scene BKK has more to offer. Its like the age old question that comes up time again, Which is Better BKK or Pattaya? Its down the the individual and what they want from a place.

Back on Topic.

Escalators Make your mind up where you are going before approaching one, don't stop at the top of it and have a discussion, you may find someone like me behind you who will not stop and send you arse over tit down the damn thing. This has happened 3 times now, its not intentional you just dont expect someone to stop for no reason, I mean would they slam the brakes on approaching a juntion when its a green signal? OK Stupid question that was, earlier this year I had a motorcycle do just that to me and I rammed him right in front of a BiB, but thats another storey.

I had some mates from a noisy city come up the north for a week or two.

We sat outside drinking one night and all they could talk about was how quiet it was.

The next morning one got up and said...

"The chickens, the chickens, how the fuck does anyone sleep here?"

Rookie,

-Pushy Thai's - when boarding a bus, subway, elevator or entering any door.

Yep, this tops my list.

Mekong,

Escalators Make your mind up where you are going before approaching one, don't stop at the top of it and have a discussion, you may find someone like me behind you who will not stop and send you arse over tit down the damn thing.

My runner-up.

Thanks for the laugh :) I feel your pain, happens every week :banghead:

Bangkok has got to be the noisiest place on earth.

:rotl::rotl::rotl:

obviously' date=' you never been to hanoi, saigon, anywhere in india, pakistan, or bangladesh...or cairo, lagos, rome even...

...[/quote']

Yep, having just been in Saigon, there's no comparison. The locals can't conceive of driving without beeping their horns every 5 seconds. :thumbdown:

My own pet peeve is the way that Thais walk. Bangkok may be a big city but the locals have no idea how to walk in a metropolis. These aimless souls have no sense that a person behind them might actually want to go somewhere faster than them. Hence, they'll walk 2 or 3 abreast. Even a single Thai has a mysterious capability to hog the pavement, veering from one way to the next depending on which side you're trying to pass.

You can be breathing down the neck of some of these dozy cunts and they don't sense someone's trying to get past. :cussing:

Guys, with all due respect, you are talking about the things that make Bangkok someplace unique, as opposed to just another Dallas/Atlanta/Tampa clone.

I am continually amazed at how QUIET Bangkok traffic is, compared to, say, Dallas. You NEVER hear car horn blasts, and you NEVER hear fenderbenders. (Never mind hearing shots fired at night. I used to hear them every week or two. A friend of mine used to hear shots fired every night.)

I am continually amazed at how CLEAN Bangkok is, compared to a lot of places I've seen.

Yes, the skytrain is crowded. Deal with it. Yes, the escalators are crowded. Deal with it. Every time I go to Bangkok, every time I go somewhere in Bangkok, I remind myself I'm not in a hurry, I can enjoy the ride and the views.

Bangkok isn't New York, it isn't Dallas, it isn't Huntspatch, it isn't Los Angeles.

Archived