Import Household Goods

SanookMahk

Good point that I generally agree with, with some exceptions such as e.g., the coffee pot. The kind I like to travel with and use (when I can't have my full blown Swiss made Olympia home espresso machine that weighs a ton available), can't be easily obtained in Thailand or obtained at all, unless Amazon.com ships there and then there would be duty and a hassle on that. Btw, the little coffee maker I'm talking about is a very cool and light weight portable small plastic thing that costs only about $25 through Amazon.com and packs light and easily makes a very decent espresso or americano and besides the coffee, only needs externally produced hot water and cheap very small paper micro filters to operate (it comes with 350 microfilters that can be washed and reused). Some of you coffee lovers might want to check it out. http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress.htm Very very cool item for travel.

Re the cutlery, the kind of fine kitchen cutlery I have in mind would be pretty expensive in Thailand and I can't currently afford to buy it again either here or there. But I know there is plenty of very cheap crap available there that will get the job done and I have done that in the past. Just not as much fun to use that stuff and I'm thinking of packing one or two nice kitchen knives next time.

Re the radio, you are right about that I suppose. I already have a small sound computer Karaoke type system I bought in LOS that is still waiting for me in storage there. It was pretty decent for the money, but I have something fairly small here in the US that can be used with computer and TV's and MP3 players, that has considerably better sound quality than my Thai unit, that I wouldn't mind bringing, but probably won't bother.

Most of the stuff you are talking about can be had here at reasonable prices. Just don't go looking for it at Robinsons or Central or Emporium etc. I'm thinking about a place on Cheng Watanha, think they have another store over Sri Nakharin way too. Forget the name but can maybe find it. Last time I was in there they had a range of espresso machines, all eu imports everything from a personal one off to industrial coffee shop sized machinery. Lots of other domestic and household stuff but all eu imports and quality stuff at good prices. Lots of other places to buy quality stuff at decent prices but you need to dig a litle, Bangkok is a big city.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't go as far as to call you shallow (besides, someone else did that for me) but I do have a very, very nice teak house and gardens on 1.5 rai of land just outside of Chiang Mai. For ten years, I had been collecting Thai rosewood furniture and shipping it to the U.S. On deciding to move to thailand, I figured out how much I had to sell the furniture for in order to replace it here. I sold some but sent over here most of it. I had bought most of it for 45 baht to the dollar. You might have noticed that the dollar has slipped from that perch, making the furniture more of a bargain to ship here. I plan on dying in the house (no, not tomarrow) and will leave it to my son (born Dec. 5, 2007)to do with what he wants. In other words, the house and its contents will have at least 25 years of use and I would prefer to live like I want, not how other ex-pats decide to live. In May, when I return to Thailand from a trip to the U.S., I'll be bringing back a bose lifestyle home theater system that would be hard to duplicate here. And I'll continue bringing things back on each trip until I run out of ideas of things to bring.

....In May' date=' when I return to Thailand from a trip to the U.S., I'll be bringing back a bose lifestyle home theater system that would be hard to duplicate here....[/quote']

Why don't you bring back a good home theatre system? :grin:

He will also need to be sure it is dual voltage and can work on the 220v 50hz electrical system in Thailand. :content:

I'm actually bringing back two systems, the Bose lifestyle home theater 48 series (their top of the line) and one made by dennon, that was rated top of the line in several consumer reports websites. I have two 42 inch phillip TV's, one on the first floor and one on the second floor. I already own 7 voltage transformers, in case neither system can be plugged into 240 voltage. Bose does take a hit by most consumer website reviewers but not for its product but because of its excessive cost. I eliminate that by buying it in parts (all new) on ebay at around one-third of the retail cost. I have the purchases sent to my brother's house, to pick up in May. Its too bad that Ebay.co.th doesn't operate as well as ebay.com. or I'd buy stuff here and not have to bring it back on flight from the U.S.

Archived