Farang shoots Thai in Phuket.

chuckwoww

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
would not be surprised if the background of the story is totally different and the burglary is a make up! any idea guys?

Agree, but no ideas.

This has to be one of the strangest crime stories I have heard involving Thailand. It does sound like something out of a James Bond movie. Usually, we read about Farangs committing suicide by taking swan dives off of Pattaya balconies or cuffing their hands behind their backs and then placing a plastic bag over their heads. But this is very different.

I have not seen anything about this in the Bangkok English languge papers, but I will start to look.

Any indication or suggestion that these two Farangs knew each other? If so, that would clearly undermine the TG's (and victim's?) story.

Could frogman have been the victim - lured out to the boat and then killed? But why? And why is he wearing a wet suit? Those things are damn uncomfortable and damn hard to get on. If he was lured out there, why is wearing a wetsuit? I cannot imagine putting one on someone after he is dead (I can barely manage putting one on myself), but maybe its possible? Any ideas on this scenario? If the deadman was lured out to the boat, we need to understand why and why he was wearing a wetsuit.

Wife and children are at the resort while hubby is on the boat entertaining a TG. Now if the wife doesn't know about the TG on the boat and the TG knows that the wife doesn't know her being on the boat, TG can safely expect that the hubby will be alone and is keeping this liason secret, and thus, he is vulnerable to robbery? One possiblity, but that is all it is (a possibility), unless there there is a link between the frogman and the TG. Any suggestion of this in the news?

Or some Farang decided to swim out to a boat and rob the owner, assuming, presumably with some justification, that anyone who has a boat moored off of Kata beach is fairly wealthy. That is what the TG's story suggests. Frogman went to a great deal of effort to try to pull this off - selecting a specific boat to target, special gun in a plastic bag (where did he get that?), 500 meter swim, diving suit, etc. Any previous unexplained robberies and murders of this sort in Phuket? Or was this Frogman's first try?

Other possibilities?

Very interesting, and surprising I haven't read anything about up here in the Big Mango.

still strange to rob a boat,i mean you would really keep much money on a boat would you?bit of a risky move swimming out there in the dark to maybe get some money.

plus i would never go into that water in the day nevermind night

Damn strange. But let's assume Frogman is a Farang who decides to swim out into the Kata bay in a wet suit at night and rob a boat since the other scenarios don't seem to have much support. Now the police are trying to figure out who this guy is; what are the possibilities?

A tourist who decides to pull this stunt on a lark? Doesn't seem likely. And if he was, presumably a link could be quickly made between: (a) the missing diving enthusiast guest in room 101 and (B) Frogman. Search his room, and you have his passport and know who he is and where he came from.

Some international criminal/terrorist (the police suggested this possibility because of the strange gun)? If so, why try to rob a boat in Kata bay on Phuket? We have worried about the possibility that some day Phuket might see a Bali type attack, but isn't that more likely to occur on Soi Bangla?

How about a Farang living in Phuket who needs a little extra cash? Divemaster Bob discovers that moving to Thailand and becoming a diving instructor in Phuket wasn't such a great idea; it doesn't quite support the lifestyle he lived when he visited. But he knows his way around the Phuket waters and is comfortable swimming around at night in a wetsuit and so figures: "hmmm..., maybe I can use my diving skills to achieve the lifestyle I desire in another way." He assumes, mistakenly, that since wealthy people own boats, they must store that wealth on their boats. Remember, divemaster Bob was foolish enough to move to Phuket to become a diving instructor in the first place, so his judgment is already suspect.

There is presumably an easy way to test this theory. Go around to all of the Phuket dive shops with a picture of Frogman. See if anyone recognizes him. Ask if any Farang diving instructors have failed to show up for work since, say, last Wednesday. If so, find out where that diving instructor lived (the Thais will know), and search his room.

Not much information available, but that is about the best theory I can come up. I am sure there are others. I wonder if we'll ever learn the answer?

(BTW, is it common for divers to wear wetsuits in close-in tropical waters?)

Yes; particularly cold water wimps like me. The water is cooler just a few meters down, and you lose heat quickly in the water. You use a thinner wetsuit than you might use, say, diving in Monterey bay or even Hawaii, but you still wear a wet suit.

Archived