Thermae Revisited

Raven

Like many of you, I had long ago written Thermae off unless I ever had a desire for a toothless BJ. Times have changed. As has been noted in passing on other posts, the talent has remarkably improved. Lots of cute young things there now.

The bar attracts a large clientel of Japanese men - perhaps it got mention on a website. They seem to congregate in the back of the bar with a lot of girls focused on them. Ignore them. The front half is more mixed, with a lot of farang. On busy nights, the girls line up in front of the booths on both sides of the bar - quite a selection. Just smile and chat them up. Most are happy to make a new friend, but some seem a bit shy.

I may be wrong, but I have the impression that there are a lot of part timers or semi-pros here. It has that kind of feel. For those of you who have not been for awhile, check it out. I know that if I find myself in LOS next New Years Eve, this is one of my hunting grounds.

Has it changed to better? Last time I was there about year ago I felt I was almost ignored and the couple of girls I was able to make contact with demanded horrible amounts of money :(

That cannot be my for looks or behaviour as usually I'm very well taken care of in the bars.

I think some girls are there to pick up a Japanese customer. Some are there to pick up a farang customer. It seems that they self select. I try to distinguish between the two. No point in trying to pick up a girl who has criteria I can't meet.

Last time I was there I spotted a girl I'd gone with on my previous trip, a cute petite girl, quite thin and girlish looking, pretty face. She was sitting at the corner booth with her friends. As I leaned over to get her attention she waved me away, wouldn't even make eye contact. It was kind of the way you would deal with a pesky beggar. Within 10 minutes a few middle aged Japanese guys who'd just walked in were sitting with them in the booth.

Does this sound like fun?

If it does, you will have lots of fun there.

If there is a stunner in there, she is probably going to try to avoid even talking to you. That's how it is there now. You only get to talk to the less attractive ones who the Japanese guys aren't interested in.

On the other hand, if you're not too picky in choosing a girl, then it is probably a pretty good place for a lower priced pickup. Lots of girls available in the 3-6 range. If you can deal with the Japanese monopolizing the top end of the spectrum, or go in with your beer beauty goggles on, you might be ok there.

I get a variation of that. A girl I go with sometimes there will go with me but usually makes fleeting or relatively discreet contact when in front of the Japanese. I'll then usually have to go out first and wait a few minutes for her to come out to meet me. Apparently quite a few Japs don't like seeing their girls 'dirtied' by the likes of me. :)

In high season, she's getting more Jap business so doesn't go with me as often. :(

Still, some girls are interested, even some of the cute ones. It's not that bad. And, if a lot of us go, it'll make the Japs uncomfortable. :thumbup: :)

I stopped in to Thermae for the first time a couple months ago. It was only about 9pm so maybe that wasn't the best time to visit but there were a fair number of people there already. I wasn't all that impressed by anything I saw. I would have been happy if it had at least lived up to the hard core dive reputation it was supposedly infamous for. Unfortunately, I found nothing interesting about the place at all.

I tend to like the same type of girls that Japanese guys like (young, Japanese looking girls) but I didn't see anything in there that I would want to take back to my hotel.

I am glad I went just to say I have been there and to satisfy my curiosity about the place. But I wouldn't bother going back a second time.

Hm. I'd be curious to hear exactly what the Japanese guys tell the girls regarding that sort of thing. Hear what we're up against. And why it got this way. Could probably ask the girls and find out. I might do that. Of course I only visit once every year or 2, for a few days, so no regulars there for me. I'm always... like here... a Stranger.

I go with quite a few girls (must be in double figures) who claim I'm their only non Jap so I've asked a bit about this. Most say the Japs don't really mind. And sometimes this Thermae girl doesn't bother to be so secretive. I think it could be something that comes more from her friend's perception of what the Japanese like. (On the other hand, where does that come from? :) )

One girl I've known 9 years who can speak Japanese, Chinese and English and has changed from liking Japanese and Hong Kong men to farangs (I used to be her only farang) told me that her Hong Kong guy kept warning her about farangs and how bad they were. So the Chinese could be worse. and I'm not looking forward to an increasing influx of them in LOS, to be honest. :( I remember being in Cambodia when groups of Chinese came in. The girls would close the curtains, claiming they didn't like to see farangs there.

Archived