Romney Drops Out of Race

Steve

WASHINGTON - Mitt Romney suspended his faltering presidential campaign on Thursday, effectively sealing the Republican presidential nomination for John McCain. "I must now stand aside, for our party and our country," Romney told conservatives.

No big shock. Why keep spending his own money on a dead cause.

Will be interesting to see how much the party get behind McCain.

Guest lazyphil

good, i dont know which is a more bizzare name for the most powerful man on the planet, 'mitt' or 'borak'.....not that i'm shallow!.....now john is a sensible name.

The one thing that bothers me about McCain is that he's still supportive of the war at an uncomfortable level for me.

I had sworn off Republicans for this election. The last time I felt this strongly was when they impeached Clinton. I wasn't even a Clinton fan but I felt the impeachment was unconstitutional. Its a very grave matter to me when you overturn the will of the people. Lying about a BJ in a civil lawsuit is not a high crime or misdemeanor in my book..but I digress as usual.

For me the Republicans had their chance to show what they had and told me nothing but bad. They controlled all 3 branches of government and always said if they had control, there would be changes...I didn't think it would be for the worse. I bought into it early on but like most I got jaded very quickly.

I find it interesting and sometimes hilarious to see McCain becoming the apparent nominee after only two weeks ago the pundits/talking heads/"experts" were certain that the nominee would not emerge until the Republican convention was held and a lot of "backroom" deals were cut. LOL ! Now, it seems that Clinton and Obama might not be annointed until the Democratic convention. The "expert" panelists I saw last night on TV were flapping their jaws about it. I'm getting more conviced that Clinton will head the ticket and that she and Obama will make up "nice-nice" and Obama will run as VP. (That is, unless the expected debates between them return to their early aggressive/nasty tenor, in which case, it won't happen.) In the meantime, McCain can start campaigning now against both.

HH

CS,

"No big shock. Why keep spending his own money on a dead cause."

Exactly, and Mitt dumped a lot of his own millions into his campaign. Tax write off? :smirk: How does that work anyway?

"Will be interesting to see how much the party get behind McCain."

For once I think the moderate Republicans are showing their strength and voting against the Xtian fundies in their party. About fucking time I say. :thumbup: John will have an uphill battle there though. He is pretty much despised by the radical Xtian block in their party. But I do feel Hillary is his main help in this race. They'll vote for John just to keep 'the devil bitch' Hillary out. And I expect he will say some things to appease the fundies too.

Cent

Archived