Visa for EU country

drogon

My girlfriend is going to apply for a visa to a European country.

Could someone tell me if she will be able to travel throughout Europe with this visa?

In other terms is it a Schengen visa or is it a visa which only entitles her to visit this specific country?

(as my embassy did not bother to reply yet)

Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's a country that applies the Schengen agreement, UK and a couple of others do not, then broadly speaking you should be able to freely travel to any other country that has signed up.

I recall a friend having a visa for Portugal, hint, very easy to get as the embassy rarely see anybody they are only too happy to help it seems. She was able to visit other places including Spain.

But look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

Wikipedia is your friend on this one I think

Yes but as I invite her so we can visit together a few countries it will be difficult to tell....

And I am sure it will be easier to obtain a short stay visa for her for Spain rather than for my own country.....As I am currently working in Spain I am able to do all the paperwork requested on my part without problems, this compared to my own country.

For the embassy of my own country I have to provide the following documents:

- letter of invitation

- Proofs that my salary is up to a certain amount

- Certificate from my own administration showing my adress etc....

As I no longer have my official adress in my own country and that my salary is paid by a multinational on a Spanish account......it will be quite a headache.

Seeing that I think the Spanish embassy is a better bet

You could well be right? But I seem to remember when I read the form it says something about applying at the embassy of the country you will spend the most time in? My wife has had 3 schengen visas to visit her sisters in Norway and has also used them for short side trips to other scandanavian countries.

Simie.

The rules seem to vary from country to country as in my wifes case her relatives in Norway only had to provide the letter of invitation and my wife had to show pay slips/bank statements etc so it depends how the Spanish authorities play these things they might be happy for you to sponsor your girlfriend and show financial resources etc or the emphasis might be on your girlfriend to do so?

Simie.

I'm under the impression that you should apply for a visa to the country where you will enter the Schengen area.

agree, but anyway, it's not so easy for a Thai to get a Schengen Visa except she can show, that she have an income to pay the cost's of travel.

Archived